ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AG Paint Renovator and Swirls

Would this polish have any effect on getting rid of swirl marks?? If I apply it with one of the yellow pads I have? Or is there a chance I will add my own marks?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  4 wheels
wont it be a bit harsh. id try scratch x first but if your doing it by hand it will take a while. rich will be along soon no doubt

106 GTi
It is good at removing deeper marks but tends to leave fine swirls of its own which you may get lucky and be able remove with Super Resin.

It is an old style abbrassive which does not break down to a milder finsihing polish like the newer diminsishing products do. Not an ideal swirl removal product. Use with care I have gone through clearcoat with it by hand before.

Any other recommendations then? I have some of it at home, but I remember marking the paint when using it on my last car, and you could see where I had used it when in the sun lol.

I am using SRP tomorrow, but I don't think it will remove the swirls. Maguiars scratch X would be better??

106 GTi
Scratch X will remove the probelm of smaller marks being induced as it breaks down as you work it unlike the AG, but requires lots of multiple applications to do a whole car by hand, will be time consuming and very tiring and still not be 100% succesfull. This is the reason I gave in and bought a PC.

I would get someone to machine polish it for you to be honest, I would be tempted to try one panel with AG Paint renovater, follow that up with Scratch X ( how many applications it will need at least 2 or 3 minimum) then the SRP that will allow your to gauge if it will work and how long the whole car will take.

There are very few products designed for hand use to do the task but Tim @ Clean Your Car posted some great ones over on DW on Black with this http://www.carsparkle.com/cgi-bin/c...d&ref=156&cat=carpolish&catstr=HOME:carpolish

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
What's the best PC on the market??

When you get someone to machine polish your car what do they use ie machine and products??

106 GTi
xzibit - drop Brazo a pm on here he is closer to you than I am in Swindon.

PC stands for Porter Cable - so they are the only real option when it comes to random orbit polishers as opposed to rotary polishers which are commonly found. De Walt do a random orital but you limited to a fixed backing plate so only one size of pads will fit it ( no 4 inch spot pads and changeable backing plates like the PC ) and the speeds are a touch to hire.

What machine and compound polishes used will all depend on the condition of your paintwork and what brands the user gets on with most.

xzibit - drop Brazo a pm on here he is closer to you than I am in Swindon.

PC stands for Porter Cable - so they are the only real option when it comes to random orbit polishers as opposed to rotary polishers which are commonly found. De Walt do a random orital but you limited to a fixed backing plate so only one size of pads will fit it ( no 4 inch spot pads and changeable backing plates like the PC ) and the speeds are a touch to hire.

What machine and compound polishes used will all depend on the condition of your paintwork and what brands the user gets on with most.

I have an RAC rotary polisher are they any good or should I ditch it and buy a random orbit polisher??

Do you need to be a bit of an expert to use one or can anyone give it a go.

Not sure on the said model, something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/230v-Professi...2QQihZ007QQcategoryZ72201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rotarys produce better results but need a little more care, and a fair bit of skill to get a swirl free finish with one. Practice on some scrap panels or unloved cars first.

I have not deleved to deeply into the art of the rotary apart from in my mates bodyshop where if I mess up he can sort it lol

cHEERS FOR THE ADVISE MATE I WILL GIVE IT A GO ON THE WIFE'S CAR.

Sorry mate just one more question would you suggest using Scatch X with a rotary polisher?

106 GTi
The new formula Scratch x is meant to be machine freindly though others have used the old one by machine even though Megs said it should not be.

Best of investing in some decent polishes for it though IMO, I use either the Poorboys SSR range or the Menzeran Range, others also use Meguiars 83 and 80.

106 GTi
I don't still learning - picked up what I do know by cleaning far to much since owning my first car