ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air bag and service/traction/ABS warning lights

Juhu_United

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 BG
So I recently bought a VERY cheap 182 which I knew had some warning lights on the dash.

The engine warning light is flashing so I've sorted some new injectors and o2 sensors so will change them this week and hoping that is enough to fix it.

My bigger concern is the air bag and service/traction/abs lights:

The previous owner had tried to change the wheel to a OMP one and appears to have put it back together very half heartedly. When I took the steering wheel apart it turns out the airbag was just disconnected, although he had tried to put resistors in the steering column end of the cables which I understand is the easy fix to turn the lights out (but it didn't work). I plugged the airbag back in, but the light is still on. Any thoughts?

Secondly the service/traction/abs lights are on. On my previous clio this was a ABS sensor, but by the looks of things this can be caused by the steering angle sensor being put out position after a steering wheel change. I tried to reset it following suggestions from the forum, but that hasn't helped either.

I'm gonna get it on a CLIP this week hopefully but was wondering if anybody has experience with these specific faults and any other solutions that are out there?

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
With that many lights your best bet is to start by getting it plugged in, but there is some fault finding you can do without CLIP.

Which steering boss did the previous owner use? The OMP boss without the tabs that slot into the steering angle sensor can set off the ESP/SERV lights. You can add your own tabs (zip ties, or self tapping screws) to bodge around this - or buy a new boss. The steering angle sensor won't typically activate the ABS light though (or didn't on mine).

Common ABS faults are sensors or brake pedal switch, followed by ABS pump. Wheel sensors can be checked with an oscilliscope, or a multi meter if you don't have one. Fronts should read somewhere around 1.7kΩ , rears 1.1kΩ I believe. If no continuity or very high resistance, the sensor is dead. If checking with a scope you should get a nice sign wave as the wheel is spun, frequency increasing with revs.

Have you checked previous owner used the correct resistors in the right places to solve the airbag fault? Doesn't sound like the work was done too competently, so may have just been done wrong?