ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone able to find this lens any cheaper?

Bus w**ker
Looking into a new lens for the show season and the only 300mm lens that falls within my budget is the Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro.

Reviews seem to be ok for it and the cheapest I've been able to find it for is £168.99 delivered from a place called Cameras2u.com. It's for a Canon fit by the way.

Anyone able to beat that price?

Ta

Sy

Go for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO, make sure its the APO version as well, rated to be much much better!

It'll be far superior to the super zoom and has a larger aperture at the long end.

Check with Sigma if they offer world wide warranty on their lenses, if so you could import from HK to save a few more quid...

Bus w**ker
My only concern with the 70-300, which I'd considered early and the reason I stumbled onto the 28-300 lol, was the lack of a wide angle. The majority of my shots are at car shows and as you all know 90% of the cars there are static. There is no way I could get far enough back to be able to get the whole of a static car in frame at 70mm, unless I'm being completely retarded and please tell me if I am lol.

I already own a 28-105 Canon lens and I don't really want to be chopping and changing between lens whilst out and about.

I'm not dead set on any lens at the minute, to be honest, I just know from previous experience and from reading ukaskew's post that I'm going to need at least between 200-300mm for close up track shots.

Lens choices are far too difficult lol.

Bus w**ker
That's actually a good idea. Hadn't even considered selling the 28-105, mostly because it's a brilliant lens, but it would make sense if I were to already cover it's range with another lens.

But the 200mm zoom has me dubious as to whether the Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC or the DC OS would meet my need, and I don't really want to be messing with extenders due to the distoration issues that can occur.

Think I might take up knitting instead... lol

D

dick

My only concern with the 70-300, which I'd considered early and the reason I stumbled onto the 28-300 lol, was the lack of a wide angle. The majority of my shots are at car shows and as you all know 90% of the cars there are static. There is no way I could get far enough back to be able to get the whole of a static car in frame at 70mm, unless I'm being completely retarded and please tell me if I am lol.

I already own a 28-105 Canon lens and I don't really want to be chopping and changing between lens whilst out and about.

I'm not dead set on any lens at the minute, to be honest, I just know from previous experience and from reading ukaskew's post that I'm going to need at least between 200-300mm for close up track shots.

Lens choices are far too difficult lol.

if you want decent image quality then changing lenses is the only way.

much more than 4x zoom and you're pushing it generally...

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
best bet is a seperate wide angle lens for statics, in addition to the Sigma 70-300 APO for track stuff?

70 is far too telephoto and id imagine the 28 wont be wide enough its equiv to a 44.8mm lense

why not use the 70-300 and the kit lens as thats 18-55 equiv 28-88

Bus w**ker
My god I can see many a trip back to my car/media area changing lens at FCS this year then PMSL.

70-300mm it is...except now I'm back into the realm of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. PMSL

I feel like a bird shoe shopping lol

My god I can see many a trip back to my car/media area changing lens at FCS this year then PMSL.

70-300mm it is...except now I'm back into the realm of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. PMSL

I feel like a bird shoe shopping lol

The 75-300mm is considered to be Canons Worst.
Look into the new Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS and its very new so will give reasonable results, you lose 50mm but gain IS so its upto you what you need more.

Trips back to the car? buy a decent bag and change in the field!

Bus w**ker
The 75-300mm is considered to be Canons Worst.
Look into the new Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS and its very new so will give reasonable results, you lose 50mm but gain IS so its upto you what you need more.

Trips back to the car? buy a decent bag and change in the field!

Yeah I've been reading reviews since I posted and can see that it's not a good buy lol.

But I've made up my mine now, mostly because I've got a headache from all this lol, and I'm just going to go for the Sigma 70-300 APO and be done with it. If it doesn't work out I'll juse throw it up on eBay and use whatever I get from it to buy something else.

My god man you must have balls of steel. I'm terrified of dust or scratches...or being a complete clumsy t**t and dropping it, even with my Lowepro Nova AW 4.

or buy a 70-200 F4L and a sigma 10-20 :)

If only I had a budget that would stretch to L glass. :(

Yeah I've been reading reviews since I posted and can see that it's not a good buy lol.

But I've made up my mine now, mostly because I've got a headache from all this lol, and I'm just going to go for the Sigma 70-300 APO and be done with it. If it doesn't work out I'll juse throw it up on eBay and use whatever I get from it to buy something else.

My god man you must have balls of steel. I'm terrified of dust or scratches...or being a complete clumsy tw*t and dropping it, even with my Lowepro Nova AW 4.

or buy a 70-200 F4L and a sigma 10-20 :)

If only I had a budget that would stretch to L glass. :(

70-200mm F4L £330 - £40 cash back !

B

Brown.

exactly the lads point^^^^ some people cant dispose of 300notes like that mate....... could be a weeks wages for him....

Bus w**ker
yes....103 delivered from......http://stores.ebay.co.uk/NEFAMINE

got it a few days later.....brand new

oh sorry just realised you said 28mm...... if i were you id go for 70- 300 apo macro

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-70-300m...ihZ007QQcategoryZ4687QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. Have changed to getting the 70-300 APO now anyway so that's spot on.

exactly the lads point^^^^ some people cant dispose of 300notes like that mate....... could be a weeks wages for him....

After tax you're probably not far off :( PMSL Not being a CS member I don't fall into the average £60K per annum category ;) lol

its 290 ;)

just save up a bit more as tbh the other options would only be a stop gap and a waste of money when you finaly do go for decent glass imho

glass is an investment really L glass wont de-value much even over a few years if you keep it well enough

B

Brown.

you wont be dissapointed with the 70- 300mm.....its pretty chunky and has the feel of more expensive lens.... plus it has the macro feture :)

Cupra
The good thing about Canon glass is that you can sell it on without taking much of a hit. Sigma/ Tokina etc always devalue more.... over here at least.