ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone able to get a good deal through Quaife?

I'm looking to buy a Quaife diff for one of my Peugeot gearboxes and wondered if anyone on here had any contacts that could soften the blow on a new one.

JJC Race and Rally are the best price I can find so far, beating Quaife direct.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Why are Clio diffs so expensive compared to other cars? At least double that figure aren't they?
It's because of the original design and size mate. They have to use such a large piece of the correct grade steel (not cheap) then machine a lot of it away to manufacture a lsd for a Clio. The originals are just cast and machined up so they're obviously cheaper in comparison, but they wouldn't stand the loads put through them if they were an lsd.

£650 delivered mate. @ilovewilly

Thanks mate. It's only a £5 saving over JJC but a saving is a saving!

Someone's managed to start the ball rolling on a small group buy with a significant saving. If that doesn't materialise I may be in touch -
Obviously If it's any hassle for you I'd be happy to go to JJC to save you the bother!

The other bonus with the Peugeot one is you can just whip the diff cover off in minutes and swap the thing over with the box still in the car, even.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
what is involved in putting a Qaiffe in a JC5?
I understand there is some machining, but what exactly?
does the box need to come apart?
The machining involved in fitting the Quaife diff in a jc5 is only done on the oe crownwheel mate. They machine pockets into it for ball bearings as these retain the crownwheel. It's pressed on and glued on the original.

To fit it in the box, I'll condense the process! Remove box, split box, undo bearing nut for diff, remove diff, refit Quaife in originals place (once crownwheel has been swapped), refit nut and measure preload/end float, tear hair out trying various shims, tear hair out refitting top gearbox casing and finally - refit box!
Piece of piss. Lol