ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone downloaded the Hurt Locker Illegally?

dk

911 GTS Cab
hopefully you didn't use bit torrent and hopefully they are only going after people in the US, 1500 people sounds very small, bet tens of thousands of people downloaded it.

The studio behind The Hurt Locker is suing BitTorrent filesharers for copyright infringement.

According to Sky News, Voltage Pictures has filed a lawsuit against up to 5,000 people who have illegally downloaded the 'Best Picture' Oscar winner.

The independent production company is seeking the names of computer owners by using their ISPs.

Voltage has petitioned the court to order downloaders to destroy all illegal copies of the film.

It plans to send letters to the people identified asking them to pay $1,500 (£1,021) each. The filesharers could pay up to ten times that amount if the case goes to trial.

"Piracy hurts each and every hard-working person attempting to support his or her family through a career in the entertainment industry," read a statement from Voltage.

The firm said that film piracy is "directly contributing" to the film industry's decline.

The Hurt Locker reportedly appeared online six months before its theatrical release. The film grossed about $17m (£11.5m) in the US.

dk

911 GTS Cab
+1

Instead of asking them to pay $1500 why not just ask them to pay what it would of cost on a DVD? Dickheads
because that wouldn't act as a deterrent would it.

if you knew that if you were caught you would only get a £20 fine I think people would be even more inclined to pirate.

Do you think if they came up with an interface like itunes but where people can download movies, then people would actually start downloading movies and paying for the priveledge.

Imo, iTunes helped the music industry by letting people download music legally

Fiat Panda 100hp
Do you think if they came up with an interface like itunes but where people can download movies, then people would actually start downloading movies and paying for the priveledge.

Imo, iTunes helped the music industry by letting people download music legally

iTunes does play movies.

iTunes does play movies.

Indeed it does for the princely sum of £9.99. For that you get a copy of the movie that you get to play on only a couple of worth while devices and is full to it's eye balls with DRM.

So £9.99 which is about the same as a DVD now. A DVD you can take round to my parents, my brothers, my friends to watch. I can lend it out to friends who want to watch it and I can also sell it once I'm done with it. You can't do this with DRM video files so why the f**k do they charge the same price?

I would happily pay 3 or 4 quid for a movie file that has DRM over it but f**k paying a tenner for what you get. The movie companies will learn soon enough just like all the music companies learned that they can still make money when selling MP3's for 99p.

Instead of extorting file sharers, which is basically what is happening, give them a decent, open and more cost effective way of downloading movies legally.

ITB BG 182
I didnt think the film was all it was made out to be.
DRM videos are full of cack, an i am not paying £18 or £19 for a disc.
One of my neighbours is on the download 24/7 with some thing dodgy, oh he also has an open wireless connection and last time i spoke to the boy he downloaded near enough to 100gig in a week full of films and tv series, yet he has had no kind of notice in the 5 years hes been downloading.

E87 118d M Sport
I'll be honest. 100%. Yes. I did. I downloaded it illegally.
Watched it. Loved it. Then bought it on Blu-ray.

Would I have purchased the Blu-Ray if I hadnt downloaded it. No.

ITB BG 182
I think its mainly people on bit torrent download files under the full and proper name for what ever film and its downloaded in one section or one single file.
Other download programs come by multi section zip files and are uploaded to a forum host by request making it much harder to trace as the files come from multiple hosts rather than multiple users.

I think this is how it works but im sure DMS will be along to correct me soon enough.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'll be honest. 100%. Yes. I did. I downloaded it illegally.
Watched it. Loved it. Then bought it on Blu-ray.

Would I have purchased the Blu-Ray if I hadnt downloaded it. No.
Lol, +1

Did the same. Have the bluray, it's awesome

Clio 182ff
Lol, +1

Did the same. Have the bluray, it's awesome

I like this idea of downloading a movie to trial it before deeming it worthy for Bluray - maybe film companies could offer a very cheap or free low res download and a discount code if you then buy it on blu ray?

Who the f**k will want to watch a low res copy first time. Not me thanks. 720p thanks.

/HD Ready pauper.

And i remember reading somewhere about the amount of legal music purchases made by people who also download music being > than people who don't download illegaly. Proportionally obviously as everyone and their grandma steals from the www.

Bus w**ker
Why is RS/HF/News Groups any safer than Torrents?
/Possible stupid question.
In my eyes they aren't. No matter which way people may use to download illegal material there always has to be a link to their own IP. If the double As or BPA etc really wanted to find you they would...well at least legally if they could get the backing behind them. ;)

There are numerous ways to make it harder to be traced, such as IP blocklists or tunnelling to name couple. Most people get caught because they jump on a new film/album/whatever on a public tracker and it turns out to be monitored by one of the pro-copyright organisations or worse a honeypot.

Torrents only get a bad press because it's freely available, easy to use and the way the protocol delivers and receives data.

Who uses torrents anyway?!
LOL millions of people worldwide, mostly those that understand the irony of paying to download illegal material.

RS/newsgroups are no quicker for me than the vast majority of totally legal torrents.

Remember kids, home taping is killing the music industry...

OEM Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
Once again an utterly disproportionate punishment to the crime committed

This to be honest, how can they fine someone £1000 for downloading 1 film, when if you went into the local Tesco and stole 20 you'd get about £50 fine and £100 costs if rumbled

172 cup TT
give graboid a go... streams films perfectly and in HD too like a good quality version of youtube. I pay a couple of quid a month for it but am sure its not legal even though im paying... its very convenient and easy especially with my pc set up to output the film to my tellie

Indeed it does for the princely sum of £9.99. For that you get a copy of the movie that you get to play on only a couple of worth while devices and is full to it's eye balls with DRM.

So £9.99 which is about the same as a DVD now. A DVD you can take round to my parents, my brothers, my friends to watch. I can lend it out to friends who want to watch it and I can also sell it once I'm done with it. You can't do this with DRM video files so why the f**k do they charge the same price?

I would happily pay 3 or 4 quid for a movie file that has DRM over it but f**k paying a tenner for what you get. The movie companies will learn soon enough just like all the music companies learned that they can still make money when selling MP3's for 99p.

Instead of extorting file sharers, which is basically what is happening, give them a decent, open and more cost effective way of downloading movies legally.

Spot on.

If iTunes did an unlimited streaming thing for £30 a month or whatever then I'd never pirate anything.

The gap between what's legal and illegal is too big. For 99p would I download a perfect copy of something that's going to sit on my HD. Of course. Would I pay £9.99 for that? Not a chance.

A red missile
I don't think i've ever downloaded a film illegally, someone at work does it and shoves it in his drop box ;)

I have to agree with what some people are saying though, someone at work got hold of a copy of invaders must die by the Prodigy, I took a copy, had a listen then went straight out and bought it, even though I probably have broken the law I think morally i'm in the clear.

It's true also to say that no matter how cheap something is to acquire there's always some cheapskate that will try and get it for free.

Skinny, low res copies are a thing of the past!

1080 BD Rips, thank you. I am missing my 100mb connection tho, use to rape that big time.

I only get 720p as my lappy only has a 720 res screen, so it's pointless getting any more.

Try living in the 3rd world. I get 200kB/s dl. It makes be cry blood.

How's that possible when rapidshare should max out your connection?

Maybe on a premium account, but I'm lucky to get 150-200 kbps from Rapidshare. Torrents usually download at about 500 kpbs if I get a relatively decent amount of seeders, though, this might be something to do with the fact that the quickest connection I can get is 4Mbps where I live. :(

Mondeo STTDCI
Spot on.

If iTunes did an unlimited streaming thing for £30 a month or whatever then I'd never pirate anything.

The gap between what's legal and illegal is too big. For 99p would I download a perfect copy of something that's going to sit on my HD. Of course. Would I pay £9.99 for that? Not a chance.

I'm pretty sure though, that techinically, within the letter of the law, that once such a DVD is purchased you shouldnt be lending it out and what not.

Just playing devil's advocate.

saxo :P
get peerblock, its a new version of peer guardian

i didnt download it, but im tempted as i need something new to watch :p

i dont intend on buying it either way so im not causing/loosing them money by downloading it lol