ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone help with a Twingo 133 misfire?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

I know I'm in the clio section but im trying to help my younger brother out with his twingo 133 and the twingo forum is shocking compared to cs.

The car sounds like an impreza, stinks of fuel and struggling to reach 30mph without sounding like its going to blow up.

Plugged it into my reader and get the following codes;

P0300 random / multiple cylinder misfire detected

P0313 misfire detected with low fuel

Im thinking it could be injector related, bit also maybe its just coil pack and spark plugs.

Is there a way i can test to see if it os coil / plug by removing them both, from one cylinder at a time and starting it up to see if it makes any difference?

Any help with this will be massively appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just the coil will do mate

Thanks mate. One more silly question.

Would you remove the full coil or just unplug the conection to it? And i take it, after each one, i need to actually turn the engine off and start it up again?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you seen the car ?
Have you checked everything is plugged in properly ?
Could just be a coilpack popped off, or might have shat a plug ?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Have you seen the car ?
Have you checked everything is plugged in properly ?
Could just be a coilpack popped off, or might have shat a plug ?

Yes mate already had my head in the bay a few times looking at it as though i know what I'm looking for lol.

Coil pencils all in place. I have already removed 1&4 as i know there is a common issue with water ingress on them, but they both looked fine and no signs of any water / rust. Im sure the spark plugs were done just a couple of years ago when it had the major service, and its only done around 12k since then.

Coil pack is strange set up on the twingos, its the pencil types.

The strong smell of fuel makes me think it might not be getting a spark but how can you work out whether its the coil pencil or the spark plug?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Thanks mate. One more silly question.

Would you remove the full coil or just unplug the conection to it? And i take it, after each one, i need to actually turn the engine off and start it up again?
Just unplug the connection mate. Just do it with the engine running so you can tell which one makes no difference to the idle.
I lost a coil on the M3 and diagnosed it in the exact same way

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
The twingo forum is s**t. I was the only one who replied to him (well sounds like the same issues) Do the above but I also recommended to him to wip the pump out and clean the plastic filter as mine was full of s**t.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just unplug the connection mate. Just do it with the engine running so you can tell which one makes no difference to the idle.

Not sure how to work out what this means, but i have just done as you have said and found the following.

Coil 1&4 when unplugged make the car sound like its going to stall.

Coil 2&3 when unplugged make it go quieter but doesnt make it sound as bad as when coil 1&4 are unplugged. Deffinately changes the sound of the engine, as when plugging back in its as if the power picks back up but like said, no where near like 1&4.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The twingo forum is s**t. I was the only one who replied to him (well sounds like the same issues) Do the above but I also recommended to him to wip the pump out and clean the plastic filter as mine was full of s**t.
Hi mate, thanks for that.

Where is the fuel pump located in these?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ran the test again to try and be clear,

Coil 1 & 4 unplugged - engine cuts out
Coil 2 & 3 unplugged - revs drop sightly but does cut out

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
How much is a new set of coils and plugs ? If they're original, could be worth doing anyway....
I think coil pencil are £50 each for genuine!

Euros have some for £20 each with the sale code, obviously non genuine though. Surely they will still work?

Do you think the spark plugs need to be changed also?

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
You can get the plugs from rpd for around £25 for the set. Think they are the same as 197/200

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
You can get the plugs from rpd for around £25 for the set. Think they are the same as 197/200

Yea they are not too bad. We are picking up 2 Delphi coil pack pencils to try first and not getting the plugs. If the coil pack pencils don't solve the misfire then we will get the spark plugs too

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member

Did you replace the spark plugs also, or just the coil pack?