ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone use Joomla?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
My brother made his company website with it, it's not bad. (it's not mind blowing either) But it seems to work well enough for him.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
About 2 years ago..

It's a fixed template rather than a responsive one, which wasn't considered an issue at the time

182 T
Yep, 3.X is great. It sits somewhere in between the simplicity of Wordpress and the developer options of Drupal

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
about 3 years ago a built a few sites and knew joomla like the back of my hand, I even managed to get one of my sites 2nd hit on google (first page). took a s**t load of time and effort but it did pay off.

need to build a new site so just went and install joomla 3.4 and wow its changed, think ive forgotten everything.

cant remember how the menu system works or s**t

its going to be a long process, but hand to know others do you it who might be able to offer some help

www.purehighways.co.uk

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yup, badly, but I use it.
Yep, 3.X is great. It sits somewhere in between the simplicity of Wordpress and the developer options of Drupal

really cant work this out, how do I remove the wording highlighted in red?

Untitled1_zpspz61usvx.jpg

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
It's in the menu item and article settings.
On the right hand side of the edit screen

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Title display or something like that.
Let me see if i can screenshot it
please do as ive tried many many things and nothing is working.

I can remove the contact us, but not the others.
contact us is the name, so in display if I set name to hide, contact us goes

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Changing the 'show title' within the article manager will remove the 'cut and finish' title

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Is that the latest version of the software?
I need to update all mine, but havent yet.

In theory though the options should be the same, just laid out differently

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
tis the latest yes, I know the options should be the same but they are not.

those options you listed are ones I remember from when I last used joomla

182 T
Create an override in the languages menu. Extensions - Languages - Overrides.
New override.
COM_CONTACT_EMAIL_FORM then leave the text blank. (or whatever you want it to have)

What versions are you using? 3.what?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
New override.
COM_CONTACT_EMAIL_FORM then leave the text blank. (or whatever you want it to have)

182 T
Yea do the override then, that will get rid of it. They changed it to using overrides for the default components (not sure why I find it counter intuitive especially for new users) but it is a bit less daunting than doing it in the code I suppose.

If you use a third party component for contact you will be able to use the hide title/menus etc options.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok thanks, i do remember things like this in previous versions being dead easy to sort.

ill take a look at your suggestions above many thanks, (expect further questions when i get stuck ;-) )

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
New override.

that actually worked many thanks, no idea what I just did though.

how do I also get rid of contact?
http://www.purehighways.co.uk/index.php/contact-us

all it needs to say is contact us, not contact 3 bloody times lol

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
New override.

you may be able to help

what I want to do is have a form where people fill out name, address, email addy and phone number. click submit, then they can either make a paypal payment or click bank transfer. and an automatic email gets sent to them with bank details on.

whats the best way to do this?

182 T
Are you just taking payment for a single service or are you selling prodcuts? If you've got a few options for buying maybe look at a commerce plugin like virtuemart.

To be honest the easiest way of doing it which takes all the information handling/data processing off you is using a paypal business account. Then you can take card payments etc, the person doesn't need a paypal account to do that. You'll get the postal address of the person etc. Get the advantage of not having to worry about https.

If you want to auto reply emails thats pretty easy, plenty of contact forms. But i would still lookmat paypal Nd paypal plugins if you're small business.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Are you just taking payment for a single service or are you selling prodcuts? If you've got a few options for buying maybe look at a commerce plugin like virtuemart.

To be honest the easiest way of doing it which takes all the information handling/data processing off you is using a paypal business account. Then you can take card payments etc, the person doesn't need a paypal account to do that. You'll get the postal address of the person etc. Get the advantage of not having to worry about https.

If you want to auto reply emails thats pretty easy, plenty of contact forms. But i would still lookmat paypal Nd paypal plugins if you're small business.

just a single service

so just need to upgrade my existing paypal account to a business one? I just want people to be able to pay with a bank/credit card.
if paypal does everything then I would need to send any auto email, all the email was going to contain was bank details so people could do a bank transfer.

182 T
I would personally. You can brand it too and its a big company doing the payment processing so I tend to find people trust it more (depends who you're dealing with obviously)

It will save you having the split options, having to set up Captcha for your emails and the auto email. - none of that is mega difficult just if you're offering paypal anyway might as well, then you can stick a pay button on whichever page you want and it will sling them over the paypal then return when they've finished.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I would personally. You can brand it too and its a big company doing the payment processing so I tend to find people trust it more (depends who you're dealing with obviously)

It will save you having the split options, having to set up Captcha for your emails and the auto email. - none of that is mega difficult just if you're offering paypal anyway might as well, then you can stick a pay button on whichever page you want and it will sling them over the paypal then return when they've finished.
ok many thanks

now this -

New override.

how do i do that for contact here -

http://www.purehighways.co.uk/index.php/contact-us