ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are smoked/tinted rear lights legal?

145db Euro'd clio
I really want to do it but not sure if their legal or not, spoken to some people and had mixed responses. Anyone got any hard evidence. Any police officers on here?

I am not an officer, but the fact stands that it is quite clear cut. As long as the rear lights and reflectors are clearly visible then they are allowed to be smoked.

This is why on a lot of smoked rear lights there is one part that isn't smoked at all, on clios there is a reflector. It looks like you have a ph1, so I don't know where the reflector is on yours, but you must not smoke that part.

In all honesty, it also depends on where in the country you live. If you live in Essex, don't mod your car. If you live round by me, they don't care!

421 Cammed 172
They don't care here either.

I had a black 206 with gloss black rear lights and had no problems.

145db Euro'd clio
yeah i live in bucks. they dont seem too hot on modded cars but want to get some hard legal evidence that say their legal before i do them. last thing i want is to pass, and then loose my licence a week afterwards for something so stupid

421 Cammed 172
I believe there is a test where-by if a set amount of light cam pass through the tint they are deemed legal.

A bit of google will turn this up somewhere. If you can't find it there is after market JDM clusters which have a black plastic inside, and a clear plastic outside, with the lights seeming to be similar to 'afterburner' lights.

I had some on the 206 also :eek:

My gloss black ones were like this or there's these, depending on what you're after, i'm just posting loads up to give ideas - LOL

In that case, if you haven't even passed yet lad/lass, I really wouldn't. In all honesty, they look shite anyway.

Just my honest opinion :)

145db Euro'd clio
lad and yeah, was thinking of doing them after i pass. dont wana loose my licence before i even got it lol

Ph1 Williams No: 112
If they are done properly and a certain amount of light can pass through then it should be fine.. if you spray them yourself like a few people i know who have done it.. it looks awful and you can barely see the light.

In that case, if you haven't even passed yet lad/lass, I really wouldn't. In all honesty, they look s**te anyway.

+1 lol

If you do do it, do the smoke spray quite lightly so it's not ridiculously dark, then do a gloss coat over the top so it's not matt finish and s**t.

Also, leave your reflectors showing or add some elsewhere - legally you have to have them and, apart from that, you don't want some t**t driving into the back of your parked car 'cos they're blind and your reflectors didn't light up bright enough for them to notice your car... :rolleyes: :)

Ph 1 172
i didn't think it was road legal!!!if you look on the back of the cans of spray paint for doing this then they all say for show use only. not legal on roads. or something along those lines. i remember reading it just as i sprayed mine. i had no prblems with mine and i sprayed the whole thing worst thing that can happen is if you get told to remove it by the police in which case its a 10min job to do so.

TT 225
i have a set for sale with rear reflectors :D i actually got randomly stopped and checked over by the po po and no problems :D

clio mk2
In that case, if you haven't even passed yet lad/lass, I really wouldn't. In all honesty, they look s**te anyway.

each to their own.. but they only look really good on a black car i think. anything else, stick to clear.

Iv had mine on for about a year and not been pulled =]
me too. and mine are jet black DIY jobs.

If you smoke them there's always the rusk of someone running into the back of your car while parker then claiming they "Couldn't see the reflectors of the car so didn't see it in time" then you get sod all payout from insurance. Plus the fact they look w*nk and went out of fashion in the 90's tbh.

clio mk2
If you smoke them there's always the rusk of someone running into the back of your car while parker then claiming they "Couldn't see the reflectors of the car so didn't see it in time" then you get sod all payout from insurance. Plus the fact they look w*nk and went out of fashion in the 90's tbh.
yeah, maybe they look shite on ford orions which is why they went out in the nineties, but if done properly, and tastefully, they can still look good on modern cars! e.g. corsa sxi came off the production line with smoked tail lights!

Evo 8 MR
yeah, maybe they look s**te on ford orions which is why they went out in the nineties, but if done properly, and tastefully, they can still look good on modern cars! e.g. corsa sxi came off the production line with smoked tail lights!

Hence they are w**k cars.

Ph1 track 172
me and my mate had them,
he got pulled about twice then got a VDN so took them off,
i got pulled over constantly and told to take them off,
so i swapped em for ph2 lights,
and the girl i gave them too has been pulled about 3 times in 2months.

either way i think they look w**k now,

yeah, maybe they look s**te on ford orions which is why they went out in the nineties, but if done properly, and tastefully, they can still look good on modern cars! e.g. corsa sxi came off the production line with smoked tail lights!

Yes, but they were intended to come from factory like that I.E The actual plastic insert on the light is coloured black instead of red. Not someone taking some cheap tinting spray to a set of lights which were meant to be red and making them look pish.

clio mk2
got some on mine & i dont think they're that bad!

clio.gif
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww188/bcaney/clio.jpg