ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

arse out

is there any difference in mounting subs with the magnets facing inwards or outwards from the box? (got mine facing out cos think it looks better):confused:

dunno??

shouldnt have thought so

not something i have ever researched myself

will find out tomorrow

i wudnt have thought so either, mite sound bit better as theres no wires inside the box so less to flap about and stuff, was jus wondering if nebody had tried both setups, gsxr750d mini? gangsta!!!:cool:

Quote: Originally posted by tomtom on 18 May 2003

gsxr750d mini? gangsta!!!:cool:
i have the engine and base car, just figuring out how to get the f**ker up and running, could be interesting

bambam there are a few bike engines minis around there is a twin engined one out there too so there will be a guide

will make no difference what so ever to the sound, my crystal sub is mounted arse out cos i think it looks better!

i tried it wit mine, it dont make the slightest difference in sound at all! but mines a ported box so not sure bouta sealed one! looks alright but if u got the boot space!

going on to bambams mini have you looked through kit car books they do gear box kits to come of the engine (unsure on the range) and they have a reverse gear

and i think rorries got something but as to wether youl notice sound differance will depend on the quality of the setup what sub it is etc because some speakers are designed to be mounted in a box mounting them outside can shorten there life

350z & 16v Maxi

Arse out does not make a difference. However you might notice some difference as a result of it. When mounting it arse out, you are effectively making the size of the box bigger as there is nothing inside taking up space. Also your subs will be out of phase which will make it sound different, in a big car out of phase subs can actually sound better. To stop the subs going out of phase you need to swap the +ve and -ve wires over.

Also mounting your sub arse out can kind of work as a low pass filter. The reason your subs dont make a difference being mounted arse out is that sub bass is non-directional sound, however anything above about 120 hz is directional so in effect by mounting arse out you are filter out any frequencies about 120 hz your sub is playing as the inside of the box will block it.

agree with colin about box size etc..

but i havent wired my sub any differently than what i would do if it was mounted normally, ive been told that it doesnt make i difference?? so just personal preference i guess

gt turbo nut, mounting inversed doesnt shorten the life, its exactly the same as mounting it the right way

Ad

350z & 16v Maxi

adam, wiring it just normal means that it is out of phase. It does make a difference, however doesnt mean worse.

And nut takking a sub that is meant to be boxed of of the box and running free-air it can damage it.

and if the sub is out of phase it would cancel out some of the other bass in the car, if you have two identical subs, one with normal wiring and one with the polarity reversed, there will be bearly no bass, in theory. So if you have any other speakers in the car playing bass or if there is an over lap of frequencies between your sub and your mids, then you will get a loss of bass if you dont reverse the polarity.

If your sub gives out 10 (arbitary unit) and you install it arse out, the speaker will be moving in the wrong direction, so lets call it -10. without any other spekers in the car the level of sound will be the same.

if other parts of you system give out 5 with polarity correctly set. this will be

-10+5 = -5 - so you only get 1/3 of the potentail level.

Hope you get were im comming from

Or sorry if you understood this allready.

350z & 16v Maxi

Rorrie, if you have 2 subs about 10 meters apart then and you were right next to one, you would want that one out of phase with the other. This is what is called time alignment!!! lol

yer, and your going to mount the subs 10 meters apart?????

But you would never need to reverse the polarity of a sub just for time alignment in a car. Only the smallest adjustments are needed, this is done using another peice of equipment, often the HU, ive never heard of anyone having to swap the polarity of there speakers to adjust it for time!!!!!!

Time aligment also screws up the sound for every one else in the car, bar you, as at other sections of the car the sound waves are canceling each other out.

So i dont understand your point?????

I got mine as a Isobarik clamshell, the sub in the box is normal polarity (where sub pushes out) and the one outside facing it is reversed, so the two speakers then work as one unit. The idea is to clean up the sound by eliminating linear distortion. It works ok, but because the 2 subs work as one unit then they will not go as loud as if i separated them, the sound is pretty good, but im having a little trouble getting really low, think thats down to my standard battery though. Also by using this method you can get away with using a box half the size that you normally would, which is quite good for the clio. Im thinking of turning it into a forth order just to see what happens.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1053366425__clamicon.jpg

350z & 16v Maxi

Rorrie,

All i was saying was that sometimes the subs in the boot being out of phase with the fronts it will sound better. Time Alignment can just be phase manipulation, and TBH i think time alignment is fantastic, i dont care out other places in the car only the drivers seat.

i agree the time alignment is brilliant, i ahve it setup on my 7894RB, but i thought you were saying that you had to knock the sub out of phase to the extent of changing the direction of the speaker, and if you put them out of phase in the boot they are really, in phase when the sopund waves reach the front.

I thought you were saying what i was saying was b****cks, just a bit of misunderstanding it looks like.

Rorrie

350z & 16v Maxi

Na i agree with what your saying, was just pointing out that you dont always have to change the phase, if the sub is more than 5m away from the fronts then it will sound better out of phase.