ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AV idiots guide

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone have a link to any sites which have a decent idiots guide to AV set ups?

I have a basic understanding, but want to get a bit more knowledge, but preferably somewhere that doesn't talk exclusively in technical terms.

Any help appreciated.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Just an overview really, basic set ups etc.

Have had a look on AV forums but couldn't find the sort of thing I was after.

Just an overview really, basic set ups etc.

Have had a look on AV forums but couldn't find the sort of thing I was after.

pm me some questions and i will try to answer them for you i will help as much as i can or if you have speific questions i can point you in teh right direction most probably

AVForums are about the best place but might be too techy for a n00b. There are plenty of folk on here who know their s**t, but also a lot of pricks who just bought a system form Currys and think they know what's best.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
pm me some questions and i will try to answer them for you i will help as much as i can or if you have speific questions i can point you in teh right direction most probably

Cheers McBunny, will do.

AVforum is good, I just want a basic over view, everything seems very specific though.

AVForums are about the best place but might be too techy for a n00b. There are plenty of folk on here who know their s**t, but also a lot of pricks who just bought a system form Currys and think they know what's best.

There is also a lot of people who spend stupid amounts of a set up and then will tear everything apart that doesn't cost thousands.

If you spend too long looking at the threads on there, you'll never buy anything as all they do is complain! lol..

Yeah, true. TBH you'll always get opinions from each ends of the scale. What I was getting at, is that some people buy a cheap system, it sounds good, they then insist that there's no need for expensive systems etc.

Some people buy an expensive setup, and to them, the cheaper ones don't sound anything like as good. That's to be expected.

Mini JCW
It's all about maximising your budget and spending it sensibly, Don't go spending £500 on speakers if you can only afford a £100 amp. Set your budget, read peoples reveiws / opinions, ask for help if neccessary but the most important thing is to go to AV branches like RS and Superfi and listen to setups yourself.

Anthony

This reminds me. I really should upgrade my amp. It's good but getting old (2002) and doesn't decode the newer HD audio.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Basically was just looking into the future.

We currently have a Samsung LCD with an out of the box Samsung DVD / surround sound system on HDMI. Currently have the TV connected to the DVD player through an optical lead, and iPod connected through phono leads.

Also have PS3 connected through HDMI and Wii and Sky through scarts.

However, when we move I want to get decent stereo separates (CD player, DAB and iPod dock) / surround system for the living room and can relegate the out of the box to the bedroom.

What do I need to buy? I don't need specific models or anything, just an overview of what I can connect what to (make sense?).

Would like everything to go through surround sound, however the main ones are the PS3, TV and DVD.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You need an amp with a couple of optical ports.

Then a set of speakers.

Optical from PS3/DVD/TV into the amp. Then that will feed the sound around for the speakers.

Not sure what connection the iPod Dock would use..

If you want to have a system that can handle HD surround (not critical IMO) then you'll have to use HDMI as toslink can't carry HD surround AFAIK.

Trophy #267
a decent av amp with hdmi / (optical + coaxial audio in) / component.
afaik ipods only output in stereo but a decent amp will have umpteen modes so a 'music' mode (or other) lets u alter it to output to all speakers if required.
sounds like u have a samsung surround sound system which may do a reasonable job for the price but be limited on inputs.
It kinda depends on how much money you want to spend (and you will always be able to spend more :D )

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
You need an amp with a couple of optical ports.

Then a set of speakers.

Optical from PS3/DVD/TV into the amp. Then that will feed the sound around for the speakers.

Not sure what connection the iPod Dock would use..

If you want to have a system that can handle HD surround (not critical IMO) then you'll have to use HDMI as toslink can't carry HD surround AFAIK.

a decent av amp with hdmi / (optical + coaxial audio in) / component.
afaik ipods only output in stereo but a decent amp will have umpteen modes so a 'music' mode (or other) lets u alter it to output to all speakers if required.
sounds like u have a samsung surround sound system which may do a reasonable job for the price but be limited on inputs.
It kinda depends on how much money you want to spend (and you will always be able to spend more :D )

Cheers all.

I'm comfortable with normal music set ups, but throw TV's in and it stumps me.

The iPod is fine in stereo, so can connect that through optical leads.

So:

DVD - Amp (Optical lead)
PS3 - Amp (Optical lead)
TV - Amp (optical lead)
CD - Amp (phono)
Dab - Amp (phono)
iPod - Amp (phono)

Amp - Speakers (speaker wire)

So looking at an amp with 6 inputs? Is this a lot?

Correct?

Alo, do good speakers for surround sound massively differ than for good speakers for music?

Trophy #267
depends on your ear / taste and room size tbh.
Also you wont need digital (coax or optical) from tv to amp as standard uk dvb isnt (yet) in anything other than stereo but thats set to change (whether it will be implemented is a diff sotry) with the analogue switch off.
Amp with 3+3 (digital+analog) is about par tbh