ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

back to back test drive - 200 and meg250

Was over at Renault this morning booking car in for some warranty work (surprise surprise) ans I notice the dealership had the Twingo 133, Clio 200 (cup packed) and Megane 250 all sitting lined up just waiting to be taken out for a run.

So, I jumped into the Clio first and from the start it felt different from my R27. The 200 had the standard seats, not the recaros...and while being fine, they did not feel anywhere near as good / supportive as the recaros (yes...the recaros have their problems which we are all aware off).

I started the 200 up and low and behold there was only 19 miles on the clock! Basically, this was essentially a brand new car. Now...i know that cars need run in, are tight and take several thousand miles to loosen up...but I have to say with all honesty and my hand on heart...this car felt very very tight with very little 'oomph'. I guess after reading all the positive and praising press reviews I was expecting something 'magical', something special that I had been missing out on in the 197...all I can say is 'from this initial test run, no... I'm not'. Where is this extra 20% torque that keeps being bandied about the place??? YES..the car is not even run in...I know...but I'm sorry, this just didn't feel anything special.

I remember collecting my 182 brand new many years ago and was instantly so impressed by its hot hatch performance driving from Sefton Liverpool dealership up to Aigburth...I had the biggest smile! But...I don't know whether it is because I am getting well used to driving Clio Sports now or simply because the 200 had so few miles on...but it just didn't do anything for me in terms of performance. However...the car did handle well...as should be expected and the brakes were immense...leads me to think that I need to change the pads on my own car.

So...after taking the 200 out, I immediately jumped into the Megane...WOW...such a different place to be than the Clio. The Meg had just over 200 miles on the clock...but it felt sooo much more powerful than the Clio...and I mean massively differently! The car accelerated something shocking and with so much ease! Plenty of torque...even sitting in 4th gear at low speed, you could feel the power under the acceleration. The Megane handled well, turned into corners with confidence and all without the constant need to be changing up and down gears (although I do like having to do this in the Clio).

Maybe I'm just getting older...but as much as I love Clio Sport, from this back to back session, for me, the Megane wins hands down in all departments. Coming straight out the Megane, back into my R27, I was left in no doubt about changing for a 200...for me, it just simply wouldn't be worth it...unless I was getting a very good deal...and I mean a very good deal. The Megane would probably be out of my price range, but I think I might have to start looking further afield for my next car rather than just thinking about the 200.

Of course, this is only an initial impress from a short test drive so is far from a valid or conclusive conclusion. I also remember taking a 197 out for a test drive when they first came on the scene and was left feeling quite disappointed at the time...however, as I tried different test drives in different 197s, my mind started to change. Perhaps this will be the case with the 200...but that front face I will never get used to ;)

Dave

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Lol, 19miles? It'll be tighter than a nuns. Silly to try and make a judgment on it's pace until run in a bit.

Iceberg 172
I enjoyed reading that!

So with all this talk about running in an engine (which I agree with)... when do manufacturers calculate performance figures??? I mean, (this is an example!) if it's not producing 200bhp and doesn't do 0-60 in 6 seconds from new... when do you expect it to do that?

I've never bought a brand spanking new car btw!

Megane 225 F1
Nice w=write up. How old do you have to be to take a car out on a test drive like you have? Im 20, 21 in septmber

Lol, 19miles? It'll be tighter than a nuns. Silly to try and make a judgment on it's pace until run in a bit.
Yip..I know silly to make a judgement...but as i say, i remember my brand new 182 feeling so much better. even with no miles on the 200s clock, i was just expecting something a little more.

i'm being slightly harsh perhaps...but as said...nothing conclusive can be drawn from this brief test run...i was just left disappointed.

I'd be amazed if you noticed a big power difference between the 197/200 tbh, its only 3bhp, slightly more extra torque. You need to take a pretty big jump (50bhp +) to notice much of a difference imo

I'd be amazed if you noticed a big power difference between the 197/200 tbh, its only 3bhp, slightly more extra torque. You need to take a pretty big jump (50bhp +) to notice much of a difference imo
Aye..I know...I guess it is this 20% torque business that the press and Renault keep going on about. 20% is a good difference and to be honest, i couldn't feel anything different from trying to accelerate from low speeds.

Is this just a marketing ploy????

Meg 250/E36 Touring
200's are very very tight when new.. and it makes you wonder what all the fuss is about.

More so than the 197's were!

They get a bit quicker @ 2000 or so miles, then they really loosten when past 10k.

The 250 feels rapid from the start, so I guess when they hit 10k they will absolutely FLY!:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's not 20% peak though, is it? The 182's are a fair whack lighter, they are slightly quicker.

Both gunning it, there's not much in it. But normal driving, foot down in the midrange I think the 1*2's feel noticeably quicker.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
It's not 20% peak though, is it? The 182's are a fair whack lighter, they are slightly quicker.

Both gunning it, there's not much in it. But normal driving, foot down in the midrange I think the 1*2's feel noticeably quicker.

^^ I think the 200 has got back that midrange instant 'go' that the 1*2's had.

The extra power brings the car alive - Just that bit more responsive throttle makes the difference.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Honestly, you will not realise how good the 200 is on test drive.

No way in hell, not drove a meg so can't compare.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
SBV116 said:
Honestly, you will not realise how good the 200 is on test drive.

No way in hell, not drove a meg so can't compare.
That's the difficulty. If it doesn't impress on a test drive, why would you buy?

Golf 7R
It sounds as though you had written the 200 off even before the test drive! The 200 demo i drove (3k on the clock) felt like a vast improvement over my 197.

That's the difficulty. If it doesn't impress on a test drive, why would you buy?
I guess that is one of the points I am trying to make. I want to be impressed...and I want to be impressed by Renault Sport...these are my choice of car.

I know a 15 minutes test drive isn't going to make for an informed judgment...but I just am failing to see where all the media hype has come from :( especially when media reports are stating how BIG a difference there is between 197 / 200. Eh..no...sorry...I didn't experience it!

when you jump from the Clio straight into the Megane...you can instantly tell the significant difference...far more pronounced than I was expecting!

that is not to take anything away from anyone who has purchased the 200. As said...I would need to drive a few different 200s with more miles on them before deciding on next car (which I am starting to think about at the moment)

It sounds as though you had written the 200 off even before the test drive! The 200 demo i drove (3k on the clock) felt like a vast improvement over my 197.
not really the case...and that is not how I hoped to relay my experience. I REALLY wanted to be impressed by the 200, I honestly did/. I was very much prepared to see past the visual asthetics and make some sort of limited judgement on the actual driving experience. I'm not saying that the 200 is bad...I am simply saying that it wasn't what I was expecting. As said...I am open to persuasion from taking further test drives in the future.

I hope I'm not sounding like a t*sser...just trying to work out in my own head what the fuss is about and thinking about what car to get next.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I've driven both cars on track and didn't like the 250 because it suffered from horrible turbo lag, felt like a car it's size, and had intrusive esp. It was quite nice to sit inside though but the 200 was much more fun to drive whereas the 250 felt like a chore.

GTD, Lupo
Pretty silly expecting to be shocked by a car with under 20miles on the clock. When i first picked my 200 up it felt like the hand brake was on. Took about 2k before it started to show its true colours.

Just coming up to about 10k now and it puts a smile on my face every drive. Best bet would be to try and get a ride in one or drive one that has been run in correctly so you can make a fair judgement.

I do like the look of the 250 but they just dont seem as raw as the old r26 plus they look a little too much like an Astra imo.

Gorms

Gorms

I wasn't expecting to be shocked...I was expecting to experience this BIG difference...I didn't :(

Take your point though that a ride in one with more miles on it would be a good idea.

Dave

GTD, Lupo
Gorms

I wasn't expecting to be shocked...I was expecting to experience this BIG difference...I didn't :(

Take your point though that a ride in one with more miles on it would be a good idea.

Dave

Fair enough :D

I still wouldnt mind going for a spin in a 197 so i can also see what difference there is :D so if you fancy a trip down to the south coast im more than happy for you to take mine for a spin ;)

Did the 250 have that little computer gizmo thingiemabob in it??

Gorms