ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Be broadband

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Anyone here use them and if so whats your opinion

Is it reliable, decent speeds etc?

Lee

BMW M2C
One of the lads at work uses them as does one of our guys who works from home. Both have been very happy with the performance they get. They also give out static IP addresses (at a cost) which is very rare these days.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Virgin can do one im gonna cancel asap and switch to be

Be received a commendation in the "Best Consumer Broadband" category at the 2007 ISPA awards. The BAFTAs of the broadband industry.

In 2006 they won the award for the "Best Sumo Consumer Broadband" for the ISP which provides the best over 2Mb broadband

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah Be are awesome. Been with them for a good few months now and havnt had 1 complaint. Also £18 for unlimited 24mb broadband - Unbeatable.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
What sort of speed do you actually achieve adam and is your modem plugged straight into the socket where it comes into the house or are you using a phone extension lead etc?

Tesla MP3 2021
Well my modem syncs at 23mb :).

My setup is as follows.

Router plugged directly into master socket with an ADSL nation NTE 5 face plate. - I have no extension at all on this line which helps the overall connection.

I then run a Cat 6 cable to my PC from the router.

So basically I am getting the most out of my connection and line capabilities.

I also got Be to put me on a fastpath connection and a lower noise margin 3db which has given me nearly the full 24mb :).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Virgin can do one im gonna cancel asap and switch to be

Be received a commendation in the "Best Consumer Broadband" category at the 2007 ISPA awards. The BAFTAs of the broadband industry.

In 2006 they won the award for the "Best Sumo Consumer Broadband" for the ISP which provides the best over 2Mb broadband

Im just about to do the same.. f**k virgin.. they are s**t now.. One of the best (blueyonder/telewest) to one of the worst !

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Yup was always happy when it was telewest pile of w**k now still cant believe they attached next door to our cable box will take some pics in a bit when im home!

Tesla MP3 2021
I was with NTL previous and was happy. A soon as Virgin took over I took off lol. Load of s**t.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Just rang them, apparently on the 24mb unlimited package I will get a maximum download speed of 2mb - yes that says 2mb !. (4Km from the exchange). BT website says 3mb max on an 8mb line

I really thought on a 24mb ADSL2+ line I would get 10mb+

Dont you just love BT and their cabling :(

Looks like I'm staying with Virgin for now.

Tesla MP3 2021
Just rang them, apparently on the 24mb unlimited package I will get a maximum download speed of 2mb - yes that says 2mb !. (4Km from the exchange). BT website says 3mb max on an 8mb line

I really thought on a 24mb ADSL2+ line I would get 10mb+

Dont you just love BT and their cabling :(

Looks like I'm staying with Virgin for now.

Sorry to mock and I dont mean to be nasty lol but people assumptions are rather ammusing which brings me to comments made in this thread.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=293089

Just because an ISP offers "up to" 24Mbps why the hell do people think they are going to get a good speed when they can only get 2Mbps from there current "up to" 8Mbps connection - Crazy. Maybe I am being a little too harsh, tbh most people dont understand Broadband speeds and thats why its abit of an issue at the moment with ISP's as certain parties are trying to get them to alter there sales pitch to make it alot more clearer for customers to understand what actual speeds they can acheive.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
^ I agree with Adam.

In other news id get Be if they where in my area but they arnt :( Id also stay away from Virgin if I could ever get them as its a totall lottery if your connection is anygood for gaming.

Im with Plusnet on their gamers package which is fine with good stable low pings.

Tesla MP3 2021
Also for you mate the distance you are from your local exchange is going to have a heavy impact for the speed you can achieve on a ADSL connection as you have found out.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
They also give out static IP addresses (at a cost) which is very rare these days.

Most ISPs do if you ask them, you have to ask to get one. Most also charge for it.

BE are a great company to be with also, i recommend them for ADSL right now. Super speeds and good technical support. Unbundled loops at exchanges so good.

A little fact about ADSL. ADSL when advertised is normally MAX speed you will ever get, you will never actually get that speed at all. ADSL is based on distance from exchange, if BT say you get 3MB max, you will get 3MB MAX, no matter what another ISP provides you. Distance to the exchange is key to getting a good speed.

Speaking of CAT6. Cat6 is almost identical to Cat5e. Personally i wouldnt use CAT6 as a gigabit network is well good for offices, but most devices have moved onto CAT6 complience. Connectors are the same, cable is the same, only can be ran longer distances without crosstalk and different frequencies inside the cable. For broadband, nah no point in upgrading cables or routers just yet, broadband at the moment is limiting to 50Mb or below, so no point in a Gigabit network when the network WILL only run at the slowest device (adsl router or the pcs).

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
I've had 3.4mb max on my line on an 'upto 8mb' line. However, this was with Orange and before i cancelled it had dropping to 1.0mb all the time.

I assummed that ADSL2+ would boost the signal somehow thus giving me a faster speed based on a maximum of 24mb. Obviously this is wrong so I either move house or stay with Virgin. Not much choice really.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I've had 3.4mb max on my line on an 'upto 8mb' line. However, this was with Orange and before i cancelled it had dropping to 1.0mb all the time.

I assummed that ADSL2+ would boost the signal somehow thus giving me a faster speed based on a maximum of 24mb. Obviously this is wrong so I either move house or stay with Virgin. Not much choice really.

Common misconception of that swapping providers WILL improve speed. You can actually ask BT to tell you your speed max and then you work off that.

Simple as you can change a thing, no matter who you go with on the BT network.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Common misconception of that swapping providers WILL improve speed. You can actually ask BT to tell you your speed max and then you work off that.

Simple as you can change a thing, no matter who you go with on the BT network.

If your with Orange this is actually true. Orange were the worst ISP I have ever dealt with.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Your router will tell you your sync speed but you will never get the max, my sync is the max 8142 but my line rate according to the BT speedtest is 7mbit and I get around 6.8mbit on various speeds tests. Luckily im not far from the exchange.

As far as changing ISP's to gain better speeds, it all depends how shite the ISP is that your with at peek times. Your best bet for ease is to run the BT speed test which will give you the speed your line is rated at and/or check your sync speed on your router to give you a rough idea.

www.speedtester.bt.com

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
They also give out static IP addresses (at a cost) which is very rare these days.

Most ISPs do if you ask them, you have to ask to get one. Most also charge for it.

BE are a great company to be with also, i recommend them for ADSL right now. Super speeds and good technical support. Unbundled loops at exchanges so good.

A little fact about ADSL. ADSL when advertised is normally MAX speed you will ever get, you will never actually get that speed at all. ADSL is based on distance from exchange, if BT say you get 3MB max, you will get 3MB MAX, no matter what another ISP provides you. Distance to the exchange is key to getting a good speed.

Speaking of CAT6. Cat6 is almost identical to Cat5e. Personally i wouldnt use CAT6 as a gigabit network is well good for offices, but most devices have moved onto CAT6 complience. Connectors are the same, cable is the same, only can be ran longer distances without crosstalk and different frequencies inside the cable. For broadband, nah no point in upgrading cables or routers just yet, broadband at the moment is limiting to 50Mb or below, so no point in a Gigabit network when the network WILL only run at the slowest device (adsl router or the pcs).

Yeah I agree on the points you have made but there are other factors aswell as the distance from the exchange which affects your connection speed such as line attenuation and S/N margin / profile.

The key point is regardless of the ADSL technology your speed wont increase if you already on a low sync speed.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
  172 Cup
I was replying to Greeny 172 when he said "dont think so mate, works fine on Demon at work".