ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Daily Clio - 3k Budget

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Bonjour,

I'm a serious long-time lurker that has finally joined up on here. I'm basically after getting out of my boring leasing rut. Both, for the sake of my sanity and to start putting away more money for a house deposit. I've always wanted a Renaultsport Clio after being taken out in my mates 172 he had in college as a first car. The stuffy get he was! The really sensible thing to do would be get something very cheap, slow and basic for a few hundred quid but i just can't do it to myself.

So, what's the best one for daily use? I'm looking at the Phase 1 172's, Phase 2 172's (which my mate had above) and the 182's. I know alot of it comes down to personal preference. The PH1's look awesome but i believe rust is a big issue with them. Will they be a nightmare for daily duties, reliability and niggles wise? The PH2's are fairly inconspicuous and i do like that and it was the first and only one that i have experienced in the passenger seat. 182's do have the visible dual exhaust tips at the back which obviously looks more sporty and it is easier to spot if they have had a decent aftermarket system installed or not. I'm just not sure which is the best bet really.

A bit of additional info. My lurking on here over the years has given me a fair bit of knowledge on what to look out for and many of the common issues.
It is worth noting that i'm not exactly handy with a spanner. This is something that i fancy getting more involved with in this car choice but just a bit of a head's-up from the off.
I also don't want a black car. I've had one before and i have one now and it's a proper PITA and sets off my OCD. Any other colour i would go for.
I'm not looking at early 197's. I do love the looks of them but i just prefer the older shape Clio's as an ownership proposition. Coming out of leasing, with set monthlies and minimal maintenance, it's already something that i'm going to have to adjust to.
I do less than 10k per annum in general.
My 3k budget is pretty tight. I'm actually thinking more in the region of 2k would be ideal, which gives me some left over as a maintenance backup to sort any issues and just tidy it up really where necessary.

Cheers

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
1.5k on a tidy 172 with a few years left on the cambelt. Spend the rest on tyres brakes and trackdays :up:

Oh and budget £12 for full membership and £20 for CSF :up: :smile:

Listerine & Poledo
Best for daily use?

A ph2 172 with cruise control and climate. Looks subtle, goes well enough, and with enough creature comforts to make long journeys not entirely intolerable

With no "enhancements" on it.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Thanks for the responses.

Ref the PH1, would it make a decent daily? I know i don't do much mileage and buying one with high miles would in no way put me off. I'm not buying it as an investment but i definitely wouldn't complain if it made me some cash come re-sale time. I only mainly do short trips to and from work and the gym, generally out and about and going for spirited drives in between.

As has been said above, i've got a feeling that a PH2 could be more the answer but there's just something about the PH1 that i just desire more.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
It could. It could also be carrying another 6 years of mechanical neglect compared to a 182, for example.

Yeah that's the only thing that bothers me some-what. I know these can carry some serious terminal rust, underneath the sills, in particular. I know PH2 172's and 182's can have a few rust spots here and there but it rarely seems that bad.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
My FF RB 182 was a cracking daily, climate and cruise really made the difference on long journeys, 2000 miles round Europe for example, and they'll do 40mpg no issues, on a long trip.

I do love RB! I have seen a few crop up for sale and that could definitely sway me towards a 182.

Where abouts in South Manchester are you based btw?

RS Clio 182
A mint 182 - something im thinking about aswell for the future with a similar kind of budget. But,having a quick look online there arnt many for sale atm!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A 182 would be a better daily, but a mint Ph1 wouldn't exactly be a hardship. Plus they look better and they're awesome to drive.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
My RB 182 is for sale, only because I need the money and am not using it enough. It needs nothing doing, unless the rear washer not working is going to bother you! Would make a great daily with the Recaros.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/rb-182-ff-recaros-and-all-the-right-mods-recent-belts-and-clutch-£2850-ono-px.807811/

It's a nice example that. Not massively keen on the driver's side harness but it's not an ultimate deal breaker for me.

I'll keep you posted. I've got a bit of a nightmare with my current car atm. I'm potentially looking to end the lease early but i'm not sure what that will cost me and that will eat into my funds for buying the car and also keeping some left over for maintenance. To add insult to injury, someone has scraped down the side of it the other day without leaving a note, which is something else i need to sort before it's return, costing more money.

Cars eh?

gralegav

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Gordini, Fiat
It's a nice example that. Not massively keen on the driver's side harness but it's not an ultimate deal breaker for me.

I'll keep you posted.
OK, no probs. I can take the harness out in 20 mins, the standard belt is clean (rare!) and still in place for road use. Am in no rush to sell so just give me a shout if you get things sorted.