ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

big problem

clio sport 1.4 mk2
Drove my clio today after not driving it all weekend and it was really juddery as i drove. It was like it didnt want to pull at all. On the way home from morisions it was even worse. It has been using more water than normal for a few weeks even though it has a small leek. There is a little white stuff on the dip stick and a tiny bit on the under side of the oil cap. On tick over it sounds quite rough as well and a few times in the last couple of weeks after starting the revs have dropped right down but fater being reved a few times have returned to nomal. Has my head gasket gone?

The only things iv had done to the car in the last couple of months is have a service and the cam belt changed.​

Last edited:
  RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
your headgasket may well have blown. A compression test will tell you.

edit, although, the white mayo stuff is common if you do alot of short, start and stop journeys, not allowing the engine to fully warm up.

Last edited:
  clio sport 1.4 mk2
after i had the car running the other week with the engin stopped when i took off the oil cap i had some somoke coming out of there.

Clio 172 Cup

edit, although, the white mayo stuff is common if you do alot of short, start and stop journeys, not allowing the engine to fully warm up.

no its not white stuff is bad bad bad all the time i've had my car 5 years and only done 18k and never once have i had any white stuff in the engine

CX-7,westfield,ix20

no its not white stuff is bad bad bad all the time i've had my car 5 years and only done 18k and never once have i had any white stuff in the engine

I agree with MrMark here. I've came across this quite a few times before. The first time I did the old guy that stays across the road asked me to have a look at his car for him cos he wanted me to change his oil. When I took the cap off it was COVERED in white gunge and I was like "sorry mate...your HG has gone" so he took it to a garage as I'd never done a HG before and they pressure checked it etc and said exactly what MrMark said. Been fine ever since as far as I'm aware.

It may well just be a build up due to condensation in your case to...here's hoping anyway.

David

Clio 172 Cup

I agree with MrMark here. I've came across this quite a few times before. The first time I did the old guy that stays across the road asked me to have a look at his car for him cos he wanted me to change his oil. When I took the cap off it was COVERED in white gunge and I was like "sorry mate...your HG has gone" so he took it to a garage as I'd never done a HG before and they pressure checked it etc and said exactly what MrMark said. Been fine ever since as far as I'm aware.

It may well just be a build up due to condensation in your case to...here's hoping anyway.

David

if this is happening then you are not doing enough oil and oil filter changes simple as that, at any time between service intervals i can check my oil and its the same as if it had just come out the bottle.

clio sport 1.4 mk2
iv ordered a compresion testor so will test it at the weekend and then see where to go from there.

clio
in this case it sounds like the head gasket (sorry) but a compression test will tell. the mayo is common if your cars only been doing short journies like in the case of the old fella. this is a particular prob with the 1.4 and inparticular the 1.2 with short journies. its condensation as dynamo dave says. not the neccesarily the case as big bob says you can change the oil every 6 months and it will still happen if your doin short journies and very little miles! never heard of it on a 172