ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Gas Struts....

....for a Mk2 Ph2, has anyone ever done it, or is there anything available on the market to do it??

Cheers in advance for any info, Steve.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think you might struggle mate as the struts would have to be bolted to the inside of the wing , and the wing being plastic the strut would probably rip off .

If the clio had metal wings , it would be just a case of using any struts like the ones used on the tailgate of any hatch , a bit of trial n error .

I suppose it could be done if you were to fabricate some sort of bracket , but then there would be the issue of any brackets stopping the bonnet from closing , but i think it would be alot of piss ballin about tbh .

I'd be interested to know if somebody has done it !

Yup, me too!!

Unfortunately when you've got a vee, you tend to use the under bonnet space quite alot, bearing in mind there isn't alot of storage space else where, lol, so it would be great to be able to gas strut it!

Oh well, needs some further investigation me thinks!!

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Its a good idea nevertheless . You never know somebody might have found a way round the plastic wing problem , i think it would of interest to alot of people if they have .

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
yeah this is such a great feature, I have seen it on some VWs, love it. Some (maybe all) 106s have it as std as well.

Right, watch this space, i've been doing a bit of measuring and made a few phone calls today.

Just out of interest, if i get this off the ground and succesfully manage to get a kit made with parts / fitting instructions, who would be interested then?

Mazda MX5 1.8
cant u bolt it somewhere on the suspension tower thingymebob?

cetainly would be a very handy addition!!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I'd be up for it. I have a set of lifters and the mechanisms from a Vectra and I think that could be made to fit with a little presuasion.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'd be up for it too. Something that would finish off my engine dressing.

BMW M135i
I'd be interested if something can be sorted (unless there stupid money), my dads mondeo has them and there awesome.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
WOW , old thread resurrected . I thought Stevev6 was sorting something for the struts . Haven't heard anything since tho' !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ like ya say , no good if the bonnet doesn't open up enough . Its probably too much of a ball ache fabricating brackets to bolt the struts to and that still allow the bonnet to close .