ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broad band in an apartment...

RB 182
I'm moving into my new place tomorrow so looking at setting up the internet for some time next week. There is a standard telephone socket but I noticed the other day that next to the two tv points there are two network/internet ports...

Does this mean they are run on a higher speed line than the standard phone line? and do I need to register with BT to set up the phone line for them to work? I'd rather do without a telephone tbh as my mobile contract will cover for free calls...

Thanks,

Mike :)

Tesla MP3 2021
First of all have you tested to see if the normal landline is working via the std phone socket. If not get a phone, plug it in and see if it has a dial tone. Call your mobile to try and get the number for the line.

If you get a number then call BT and see if it is one of their numbers. You will obviously have to pay line rental to someone so either choose BT or another service provider. BT will try and charge you over £100 to start up the line again in your name. You can then look to ordering ADSL broadband if that’s the route you want to go down.

Im not quite sure what you mean by the two network/internet ports. What do they look like??

Is it possible that they might be for an NTL/Virgin connection point?

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
Well you have to have a phone line installed/running to the house to get broadband unless you are in a cable area??? You dont have to use the phone line to make calls but it needs to be there. I wish we hadnt gone with BT the theiving gypsies! ;)

Maybe the apartments have there own internet and those ports are connected to that? Surely worth asking?

EDIT..... Pretty much what was said above!

RB 182
On the wall socket with the TV points, there are also two sockets which look like standard network ports... like on the back of you're computer.

I will ask about them tomorrow as I don't get the keys till then. The girl at the show room doesn't seem to know much so will ask the site manager when I get the keys. Wanted to sort something out before the weekend as O2 have some good deals atm.

Tesla MP3 2021
Well it just depends on how the previous occupant left the line. Ideally they should have had it stopped / ceased.

I am not to clued up on the residential side of things as I work in business telecoms but I think there are only a handful of SP's who can provide lines from the start - I think the Post Office can now do provides (I could be wrong).

Tesla MP3 2021
On the wall socket with the TV points, there are also two sockets which look like standard network ports... like on the back of you're computer.

I will ask about them tomorrow as I don't get the keys till then. The girl at the show room doesn't seem to know much so will ask the site manager when I get the keys. Wanted to sort something out before the weekend as O2 have some good deals atm.

There could be some sort of LAN setup for the apartments then.

Yeah O2 have good deals.

I would see if you have an active line / number and then find out what broadband services are available to you (http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/)

RB 182
Yeah, checked my new postcode and O2 came top :) It's a new apartment so no previous occupants, hence why finding info on what these ports are is doing my head in a bit...

Tesla MP3 2021
Well you need to get more info on what is installed in the apartment.The Openreach line is going to be a new install anyway so there shouldnt be a charge to set it up as it should already be working. You will have to find out with your landlord or whatever how the agreement works with the landline. They should have all that info for you.