ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT reconnection

Moving into a private rental house in a couple of weeks, and the landlord is informing the utility companies of our details and payment details etc.

Going around there tonight so was going to mention about the phone line, I am not sure if I want to have line rental to start with or not. I may get sky in the near future and use their call package and do it all through sky, including broadband with them.

If I say I dont want a phoneline, and the landlord cancels rental, and then say I decide I do actually want BT, is it hassle to get it back?

And if I just pay the line rental for a couple of months while I decide, is it easy to cancel it?

Didnt know if there were contacts with line rental.

Audi S1
Feck sake. I imagine the landlord wouldn't want me to cancel it then in that case!

Well you will be living there so all bills will be in your name.

You can do what ever the f**k you like - but if you cancel it they will charge you £120 to reconnect.

I've not long moved into a new build, even though BT lines are all there etc... i have to pay them that to press a f**king button!.

Bumder With A Buffer
Well you will be living there so all bills will be in your name.

You can do what ever the f**k you like - but if you cancel it they will charge you £120 to reconnect.

I've not long moved into a new build, even though BT lines are all there etc... i have to pay them that to press a f**king button!.

Not entirely true...They do have to go down to the exchange and jumper you up to the right MDF, also maybe out to the little green box to jumper up a few pairs there...but yes MOST of the time they leave the lines already connected and in theory press a button. Also you say your paying £120 for them to press a button..your also paying for there equipment down in the exchange..that stuff aint cheap! £10,000 for a ECI/Alcatel DSLAM (although I recon in the quatities BT but they get them a lot cheaper then we do :( )

Also when you disconnect/cancel a contract you can get reconnected with BT without paying a reconnection fee..we moved in 2 months after the previous inhabitants of our place moved out and we paid no re-connection fee.

Audi S1
Not entirely true...They do have to go down to the exchange and jumper you up to the right MDF, also maybe out to the little green box to jumper up a few pairs there...but yes MOST of the time they leave the lines already connected and in theory press a button. Also you say your paying £120 for them to press a button..your also paying for there equipment down in the exchange..that stuff aint cheap! £10,000 for a ECI/Alcatel DSLAM (although I recon in the quatities BT but they get them a lot cheaper then we do :( )

Also when you disconnect/cancel a contract you can get reconnected with BT without paying a reconnection fee..we moved in 2 months after the previous inhabitants of our place moved out and we paid no re-connection fee.

Still £120 per household... allot of money!

I dont even want the bloody phone i just want the internet!

How does it work then if I get sky and use their phone? Do they liase with BT and sort it out between them, or do I still have to pay BT to let sky do the connection?

Bumder With A Buffer
What you said first...you go an LLU service where Sky take the line from BT and you pay Sky.

What you said first...you go an LLU service where Sky take the line from BT and you pay Sky.

Well sky only want £10 a month for line rental, so I would be best off using them and having broadband through them too. Only thing, is I dont want to pay the landlord £120 when I leave to have their line with BT again!

A well built VW
I have just had mine installed for SFA I took out a package with sky inc calls and broadband and line instal was free (they earned the fee) Sky liase with BT Openreach who will do the instal

The £120 fee is a one of - the new tenants would maybe have to pay to reconnect in future

SLK250 CDI
Sometimes BT will waive it if you take out a 12 or 18 month minimum term contract.

When I was in rented, we never had to pay for reconnection to BT, even when the line had been deactivated. Even once where the previous occupants had fucked off without paying...!

Sometimes BT will waive it if you take out a 12 or 18 month minimum term contract.

When I was in rented, we never had to pay for reconnection to BT, even when the line had been deactivated. Even once where the previous occupants had f**ked off without paying...!

Didnt really fancy getting involved with a BT contract incase I wanted to get sky a few months in and do my line rental through them.

Right!

Went round earlier and explained the situation, as far as the landlord is aware, unlike the other utilities, where they will ring up, take readings, and pass on or names/payment details.. with BT they will state they are moving into a new house (they have bought a bigger property and are renting out this one rather than selling it in a recession) and their BT 'account' as it were, will change to the new house. And we will need to ring BT and give our details and set up our own account.

I mentioned that I was under the impression that if I used the line with BT, then went to Sky, that the phone line would be inactive and the landlord would probably have to set up a line for the next tennant, he said that it would be up to the next person in the house to sort out (like it is for me now) so I don't need to worry about getting a phone sorted out when we move in straight away. So thats one less thing to sort out.

Just have to persuade the mrs that Sky is worth the money :evil: