ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can clip

Mcbudge

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had any experience with the cheap (£80-£100) can clip tools on eBay?
My 182s developed a fault and rather than throwing money away at sensors aimlessly, I’d rather pin point it and go from there!
I don’t want to use it to reprogram, just to check sensors and see what’s going on. It doesn’t throw up warning lights or any codes for a normal obd2 scanner!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Ive got one of the cheap clip tools off ebay. They work OK, you do get occasional disconnects though but not a show stopper.

Mcbudge

ClioSport Club Member
@Gus does it read the sensors properly and indicate if any aren’t reading as expected?
I’ve got a real weird fluctuation in my idle and I can’t pin point it anywhere!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have the full chip/gold board can clip clone, used it loads no issues. Pay the extra £20 or so for the gooden, as the ultra cheap ones fail quite often, and last cheap green board one i had nearly bricked a megane uch when i was reprogramming it due to it disconnecting:cautious:

Mine has paid for itself 10x over now with all the diagnostics required on the Kangoo:LOL: used it on the blue clio this week, checking live data running the engine from cold.

Mcbudge

ClioSport Club Member
@Brigsy like this one? eBay Link
how much detail does it show on the live data? i've got an obd2 wireless dongle that connects to my phone and that gives me some live data.

My idle fluctuates when I'm coasting (between 1200 and 2000 on a bad day) but when i come to a stop it steadys out. i just want to check through the sensors and see if theres any anomolies

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Thats the one @Mcbudge, i paid a bit less but was ages ago. You can check all live data, lambda, knock correction, coolant temp etc.

Cam timing knacker on? Mine idled quite s**t with it out, and also map sensor o - rings can leak a little causing issues like this, so check for any airleaks.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
A few pics of what you can look at
20181203_211928.jpg
20180403_115321.jpg
20180313_174411.jpg
20180403_115606.jpg

Mcbudge

ClioSport Club Member
@Brigsy i originally thought that it may have been an air leak, but it’s so inconsistent! When I get in it yesterday it idled at 2k cold. then Today it’s at 1250.
It also has a funny five minutes once every week or two that it just slowly dies when I coast to a stop. It doesn’t even feel like it’s stalled because it’s so gentle in how it goes!
Seriously tempted with a clip in the hope that it might actually give a better indication of any sensors that are giving any readings that might not be right. Does it show what the ideal parameters are for each sensors at various engine speeds etc?