ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 10D - anyone used one?

Just a quick question really - I'm sure I've read on here that some have played with a 10D but due to search function seemingly not liking 3-letter words I can't find any references to it now...

So - experiences, likes, dislikes, recommendations all gratefully received! :)

I'm thinking I would like to go DSLR but can't afford new so secondhand one of these is looking like a good bet.

Works...kind of...
They're getting on now tbh.

For one they can only take EF lenses, not EF-S ones like all the crop bodies after it. So you'll be stuck buying really expensive lenses if you want decent ones (except the nifty fifty).

I have a Canon 20D and I love it to bits. The way it handles and how it takes pictures, I sometimes forget the tech in it is 4+ years old.

Just thinking about it... Can't really afford it (like usual lol) so I'd have to get a bundle off ebay or something.

Cheers for the link above, dunganick :)

Can someone quickly explain the Canon numbering system to me? It's the most confusing thing in the world lol

Cupra
xxxxD = Really Entry level
xxxD = Entry level
xxD = Better
XD = Pro

The numbers go up for each camera except for the pro bodies. i.e.

Oldest: 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D Newest
Oldest: D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D Newest

The pro bodies have Mk numbers.

1D, 1DMkII, 1DmkIII (there are also other variations 1Ds & 1Dn)
5D, 5DMkII.

For a complete run down, check the canon museum:

Last edited:
Ok, think I have it sussed - with a D after the number is better than with a D before it?

That 20d on the link above looks quite tempting.

edit: posted as Andy posted above lol

Cheers Andy!

Last edited:
  Works...kind of...
If you're happy with a small screen, 20D's are very good for the price they can be picked up. If you want a bigger one go up to a 30D but I'm not sure how much you'll pay.

*0D models are Semi-Pro, so they're constructed with magnesium alloy (IIRC) instead of plastic and are semi water resistant.

B

Brown.

300d will give you better result if price is an issue. (from experience with 300d, 10d, 20d, 40d, eos(mk1's) 1d, 1ds)... i ranked my 300d par results wise with my 20d for out of the box action.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
ive got a 10d i have used if for the last 4 years and still get good results from it however i am possibly looking to upgrade this summer to a 5Dmk2, i have been holding off on upgrading to get the most for my money

as mentioned the 10d was a semi pro camera when released and back in the day RRP at £1800, this is noticable even today in the build quality everything feels nice and solid (not just the magnesium body but all the buttons and switches), where as the 350d range can feel a little plasticy.
the downfall of the old technology is the inital camera start up time is a little slower than new dslrs(miles quicker than most point and shoots that play a video intro when you turn them on), the noise at higher ISO is more noticable and you cannot fit EF-S fitment lenses, however this is only a problem really for wideangle lenses and most decent lenses like the sigma 10-20mm are EF fitment so fit it

overall despite being older i think for around £200 you can pick one up with extras which will still outclass a similar priced point and shoot

Just for info, I've already got a Fuji S6500fd so am pretty up on shooting Manual, so I would like the extra that a full DSLR will bring - I couldn't deal with a normal P&S! lol

I think I'm most looking for very low (nil?) noise on low ISO long exposures at night, and also the ability to shoot evening events without having to use a massive flash, if any, so ideally it would need to have decent quality at higher ISOs too in order that I could reduce exposure times to minimise blurring.

From what I've read the 1d mk1 isn't that great at low light levels so I'm not sure if it would be suitable (plus it's only 4mp, which I'm not sure would be adequate if I want to blow up pics to A4+?)

The 20d seems quite appealing as it's not £££ and also has the wider choice of lenses, but the 10d is cheaper to buy and doesn't seem to lose that much over the 20d. I don't think I can afford a 30d... lol

B

Brown.

Just for info, I've already got a Fuji S6500fd so am pretty up on shooting Manual, so I would like the extra that a full DSLR will bring - I couldn't deal with a normal P&S! lol

I think I'm most looking for very low (nil?) noise on low ISO long exposures at night, and also the ability to shoot evening events without having to use a massive flash, if any, so ideally it would need to have decent quality at higher ISOs too in order that I could reduce exposure times to minimise blurring.

From what I've read the 1d mk1 isn't that great at low light levels so I'm not sure if it would be suitable (plus it's only 4mp, which I'm not sure would be adequate if I want to blow up pics to A4+?)

The 20d seems quite appealing as it's not £££ and also has the wider choice of lenses, but the 10d is cheaper to buy and doesn't seem to lose that much over the 20d. I don't think I can afford a 30d... lol

20d's a safe bet, camera did alot for canon's semi pro rep. 5 frames a second its a flyer to!!

compares the two here : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS20D/

Works...kind of...
I think I'm most looking for very low (nil?) noise on low ISO long exposures at night, and also the ability to shoot evening events without having to use a massive flash, if any, so ideally it would need to have decent quality at higher ISOs too in order that I could reduce exposure times to minimise blurring

I took this at 1600 ISO on my 20D

AshsTeggy3.jpg

Even at original res blown up, the noise isn't that noticable.