ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 350d photo help

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got a 350d and have had it a few years. I don't know the first thing about photography and just tend to shoot in auto mode! I've taken a few night shots in night mode and these turned out ok with the use of a tripod.

Im struggling in lower light as you can see from the pics in this thread;

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?686759-Clean-Subaru-Pictures&p=9387868#post9387868

I don't want to use auto mode as it uses the flash and looks crap.

Is there any setting where I would be able to shoot in lower lights without a tripod and still get decent exposure?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Firstly, have a read of the stickies at the top of the photography page. Will give some valuable information.

You shot one (maybe all) at f11 and ISO of 400.

Try shooting in AV mode, bring the f number down to 4 (or lower if you can, can't remember what the kit lens goes down to). Try auto ISO, if its still too dark then put the ISO up more (800 maybe). Also, looks for somewhere with decent light too. Or just invest I'm a tripod. They can be had fairly cheap.

Oh and its a 400d according to the exif data.

They are under exposed Jim, I usually use a longer exposure via TV mode in lower light. Not too long that you need a tripod though...

Also you should have an Auto mode with no flash surley?

My 550d does.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
They are under exposed Jim, I usually use a longer exposure via TV mode in lower light. Not too long that you need a tripod though...

Also you should have an Auto mode with no flash surley?

My 550d does.

Who knows! I'll Maybe have a look through the manual..

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Stick it in Av mode. Drop the number to the lowest figure and see what happens.

Auto ISO for now.

If you're shooting any more complex than that, ensure you check the lever in the bottom of the screen to show how the exposure will go. If its in the middle its spot on. Under/over .. Well I'll leave you to work that one out ;)

Auto with no flash should be a square next to the auto with a cross through the flash sign ;)

As above though, AV mode lowest number and see what's what.

Shoot in RAW too as you can adjust the exposure, make them brighter/dimmer after you've taken them on your laptop!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Auto with no flash should be a square next to the auto with a cross through the flash sign ;)

As above though, AV mode lowest number and see what's what.

Shoot in RAW too as you can adjust the exposure, make them brighter/dimmer after you've taken them on your laptop!

I do shoot in raw but don't have any software to adjust the exposure as my free light room trial ended.

Thanks for the advice dudes.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Found the CD and installed the CD - also realised that ive got a 400d and not a 350d....

Anyway, I just messed with one of the photos a little;

8531761196_2c9ed4200b_z.jpg

IMG_4791 by cobzy1, on Flickr

8533000955_04ecbee0f4_z.jpg

IMG_4791 - 1 by cobzy1, on Flickr

Obviously not a massive change but slightly brighter.

I thought I was shooting in RAW but the software wont let me edit as a RAW image so I guess im not.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Very quick play in Lightroom, looks brighter but I've lost some image quality I think. As Im on the boat sand my internet is so poor, I only took the medium 800 file.

If you can get a copy of Lightroom then do it. Shoot in RAW and put them straight to that. So much more control over the final image. But start using AV mode, sack off Auto all together.

Scooby.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
EOS disc - I've got a spare one kicking about I think .. I'll have a look.

I'm sure you can find it online somewhere to .. er .. back up from ;)

Are you Windows or Mac ?

iPhoto or Aperture are fantastic on OS X.

If you're on Windows - http://picasa.google.com/ will do most things you need - it's very similar to iPhoto.

Getting fully carried away in Lightroom etc will just be far too OTT for most photos I'd imagine ..

If you want a free PhotoShop equivalent that is legit, 'The GiMP' will be what you need.

Good luck :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Download a cracked version of lightrooms 3 off isohunt and it will auto update via adobe :approve: