ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 450d error 99

ITB BG 182
A friend has a canon 450d and it keeps showing error 99 on the main screen.
Does anyone know how to fix this error or is it the end of its time?

Oil Burner
This is often Canon speak for my shutter is knackered.

Although it can also be other issues. Does it show any other symptoms, for example images which have large black areas? Remove the battery and replace it would be the first thing to do. The next probably to send it to a Canon repairer like Colchester Cameras.

ITB BG 182
Image quality with error 99 is just crap, black bits all over the place.
Have changed the lens and hes even bourght a new lens which has not solved the problem.
Ive told him to get a new memory card and a new battery.

Cupra
Shutter problems with error 99. Especially if you have black bits over the images. I had it on my old 40D after less than 1000 shots. A trip to Canon should sort it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^^ Exactly what AndyRS says. I took my 40D on holiday for a 2 month break in Australia and it broke down within two days with an error 99. Sure enough, as stated, it was a knackered shutter. It took three weeks to get fixed (a large part of the holiday) so I ended up buying a 450D over there so I had something to shoot with.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Error 99 = New shutter.

I had the same error on my Canon 300D, was so annoying - sometimes it would work for 10-20 frames and then would just die for a few days ... ended up getting the shutter system replaced on warranty.

if it's not under waranty then it'll cost £££ to get it replaced!