ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the 5D mkII on here?

2014 Focus Titanium
Is it because you all love Nikon so much and won't talk about the competition? :D

Anyway, looks like a beast of a camera!

DPReview preview http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/ but if you look on POTN theres loads of different sites where people have had a play with the 5D and such.

The 1080P video with autofocus (unlike the D90) looks absolutely sublime. And it isn't limited to 5 minutes, just 4GB clips (roughly 12 mins).

Here is a promotional video of the HD videon taken with it!

http://www.vincentlaforet.com/

Revels Mum & Sister
Yeah the video was posted a bit further down. VERY impressive. I think it is a pretty good split of Canon/Nikon users on here.

The main point the 5d is going to be around £2300 judging by pre-orders and the Nikon D90 is £600-700

2014 Focus Titanium
Yeah I suppose I didn't really think of that! This would be a dream camera for me though! Can't wait to see some proper reviews of it. I will be going for a 40D/50D next though!

47 post thread about it here...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=361455

Although unsurprisingly discussion turned to the D90, as Pete says it's about 1/4 of the price and still offers most of the functionality/benefits in terms of video. I don't think there is any particular bias, just not many (or any) of us in the market for a camera that expensive. We haven't exactly talked about the Nikon D3 or D700 either, it's not on most of our radars.

Discussion has been done to death, but the raw numbers don't really tell the whole story with regards to video. For example, why would you ever want to film for 5 minutes solid anyway? The way that these camera work, it's more than likely to be aimed at short film-makers etc, more often than not a scene without an edit is likely to be in the low seconds, not minutes, and auto-focus won't be an issue. Either way, as a 1st gen effort from both Canon and Nikon, it's very impressive already, will be great to see how it evolves.

2014 Focus Titanium
Aye, if I was using it they would only be short burst video clips of people's golf swings :D I was just pointing out the differences!

I just wish Canon had brought out the 50D with HD capabilities like the D90, then it would definitely be my next upgrade! I would never change to Nikon, simply because it would cost too much to sell all my kit and buy all new kit, but Nikon stuff has been very good as of late!

Aye, if I was using it they would only be short burst video clips of people's golf swings :D I was just pointing out the differences!

I just wish Canon had brought out the 50D with HD capabilities like the D90, then it would definitely be my next upgrade! I would never change to Nikon, simply because it would cost too much to sell all my kit and buy all new kit, but Nikon stuff has been very good as of late!

Swings and roundabouts I guess, general consensus is that Nikon have shot ahead with the technology in the D3/700/300, which is now already filtering down to cheaper cameras like the D90. Low light performance in particular is nothing short of outstanding, and in general terms reviewers say it's outperforming the D2Xs (a £3500 camera just a couple of years ago)

But, the 5D MkII is packing some serious kit, and when that starts filtering down it will even up things a lot more, and balance will be restored. The only thing that Nikon appear to consistently be able to do that Canon can't deal with is the price of entry level DSLRs, it's still much cheaper to start out with Nikon than it is with the Canon, even with the introduction of the 1000D.

2014 Focus Titanium
I agree about the entry level DSLRs, canon were very slow to take that one up. As long as both manufacturers are competing and are roughly as good as each other then it will be better for the rest of us!

top of the pyramid
Use the Mk1 every day at work, very good cameras easy to use very robust.

Personnaly i have a d300 and enjoy that morethan the 5d, though at work i use the 5d for commercial photography and i use the d300 for mainly motorsport.

I wouldnt buy one as a first dslr though you wont be able to use it to its full.

Last edited:
  Megane Mk4
Never EVER played with a Cannon :eek:

I think I'll have to go to a camera shop and have a play with some. ;)