ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't turn on PC

Right, I ran a Scan yesterday that meant restaring the PC, it was checking for errors etc, I left it for 8 hours and it got to 50%. So I restarted.

Now everytime it turns on it tries to run the safety scans and doesn't get past 0%, so the only way to get the PC on is to skip the scan. Scared to turn it off now! It's been very recently formatted, luckily all my stuff is backed up on an EHDD.

Its just come back from an Acer repair center all reset, grr! I've got a copy of Windows x64 Prof 128 day Trial here which I might install?!

Shouldn't take that long to scan really, either the installation is screwed or ur HD is on its way out. Reinstall sounds best thing to do. Gotta agree with these guys though, Linux is the way forward.

Deffo, well its with Acer repair again, lets hope they dnt notice the tampered warranty seal lol, had to put it in then remove my wireless internet from the pci

will google linux find out some bits and bobs

At last PC has been returned, quickly I must add, apparently it had a faulty HDD and thats been replaced.

Now the damn thing takes bloody ages to turn on, anybody have a clue what this screen is? is it normal, could it just be they added a cheaper Hdd?

Sorry about the size, it appears just after turning on the power, some kind of status bar..

dsc037769sx.jpg

Monaro VXR
Thats the normal windows XP loading screen should appear sometimes depending on how much crap is loaded on the comp what version of XP service pack is used etc etc can take longer sometimes you barely notice it.

I wouldnt recommend going to XP 64 either as its no up to much at the moment.

After that bar though should show the windows XP logo and start with the other blue bar. And whats ages to turn on baring in mind if acer formatted it for you its probably preloaded with tonnes of shite you'll never use.

Cheers, have now downloaded all the service packs etc and its slowly beggining to load quicker, so I might finnaly have a working pc, touche wood!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
To backup what wozzaa said - 99% of the pre-loaded shite that manufacturers put on their PCs just makes the PC run slower. And you'll probably never use it. HP (the lower spec machines at least) don't seem that bogged down. The worst (by a HOOOOGE margin) is Sony with their Vaios. Not had much experience with Acers though....

D.