ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car groaning

clio
hello, got me a clio but I have a problem. Car makes a noticeable groaning sound from front passenger side, happens going straight and louder turning right. The guy at the local garage changed the front passenger bering and also drive shaft but still making the noise. Anyone have any suggestions. Heres a vid I took earlier, any and all help welcome, thanks.

renault clio 1.4 16v
wont let me play the vid, did your mechanic also check the other wheels for bearing play and noises? could also be a warped brake disk or lose pad, does the nose go away during braking at all?

clio
i don't think he checked anything really, probably my fault, I was 100% sure it was psf bearing so just turned up with a bearing and asked him to change it. I had a check of all the wheels earlier today and id say its the drivers side from spinning the wheel by hand but it sounds 100% passenger side from inside the car. I can hear it going straiht and turning right so I thought front left bearing. Could this just be a trick on the ears and it was driver side all along?????

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Could well be, if theres a noise or free play in the drivers side then have it changed. Whilst normally you'll hear a bearing whining when you add 'load' to it they can also be heard when the opposite happens, when I was in the trade years ago we always checked both sides for the exact reason you mentioned, it's all too easy to think it's one side gone and then it'll turn out to be the opposite all along.

It's certainly no criticism on yourself, you've asked a garage to change something and they have, I'd have thought for peace of mind they'd have checked for themselves first and advised you of any potential other issues