ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carreg Samson Star Trail.

Fiesta ST-3
Ok last night I set out to get a Star trail of a Neolithic Burial chamber. There are a few of these things dotted all over Pembrokeshire and a few of you may associate Stonehenge to this monument. Well that's because Stonehenge is made of Pembrokeshire blue stone, the same used in this monument and they are both Neolithic in age.

Official spec

Carreg Samson, also known as 'Carreg Sampson', Samson's Stone and the 'Longhouse' is a 5000 year old Neolithic Burial Chamber and the site of over 1000 burials. Located half a mile west of the Abercastle near the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, it has a cap stone 15 feet long and 9 feet wide supported on three of the seven upright stones. It is thought to have been a portal dolmen and was built over a pit. It is called 'Samson' because of a local legend that Samson placed it in position with his little finger.The whole burial chamber was once covered by a mound of earth or stones and once these were removed stones were used to block the holes in the sides of the tomb so that it could be used as a shelter for sheep. Excavations in 1968 found an early Neolithic bowl.

107 images taken with a standard kit lens and blended on StarStax.

F3.5
30 sec exp
ISO 800

The picture

6859396008_a3fcef896d_b.jpg

Carreg Samson by scott.thomas21, on Flickr

as i said on flickr, really like this shot.
the lighting on the stones is spot on and the star trails fantastic.
i really need to get out and do some trails soon!