ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Castrol

What's up with Castrol? I see/hear loads of people making saying about it being rubbish, slating it and making "whatever you do don't use castrol" comments etc.

Is it just personal opinion or is there something i don't know?

Yeah, but in a car a few extra horses is a bonus.

In seriousness, there is nothing the matter with Castrol, other than being a bit expensive and they don't really make as full a range as some companies.

If you're looking at oil for a Clio, you want a 5w-40 and the Castrol Edge 5w-40 is Renault approved, but it's £45 on offer if you want 5L. You can get 5L of Shell Helix for £28 and that's Renault approved. For £45 you can get 5L of Millers CFS (£44) or Gulf Competition (£38) and they are absolute top end race quality oils, although they aren't Renault approved.

Or when it comes to things like modified Imprezas where you want a 10w-50, Castrol don't make one, you have a choice of 5w-40 or 10w-60.

Cheers

Tim

Lionel Richie
i don't know why, but in renault engines in my experience it makes them sound more tappety, someone once compared it to a skeleton having a w**k in a tin can!