ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAT5 patch panel recommendations?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps - which ones do you rate out there for build quality and for ease of termination? We've never really standardised a patch panel when rolling out our depots and literally just pickup the nearest and cheapest.

However, with last weeks' abortion at our new Liverpool depot and ensuing repatching - I've had enough! We had a expensive patch panel for our Coventry depot (iirc, about £80 for a mere 24 ports) - but it was the Maybach of patch panels. Built solidly and with great cable management, it was a breeze to use. I then tried to buy another and couldn't find one for love nor money. :(

The only other specific requirement I have, is that RJ11 connectors should be able to click in place correctly into the RJ45 patch panel. Some work, some are offset and don't make a clean connection to the pins themselves.

Any suggestions guys would be great.

Cheers,
D.

Clio 172
Don't know if it does the whole RJ11 thing you want to, but we allways use Connectix or excel. Can't you use PBAX adapters? More money/effort though if you don't need to though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know if it does the whole RJ11 thing you want to, but we allways use Connectix or excel. Can't you use PBAX adapters? More money/effort though if you don't need to though.

Cheers Jay. We have used master/primary adapters quite a lot - but it's nice to have the simplicity of RJ11 connectivity where we can.

Our analogue devices are really quite low in number too. A fax machine and a PDQ machine. Even the DECT cordlesses go through Linksys ATA's these days... :)

D.

Clio 172
Krone all the way ;)

But then again that's MOD spec..

I f**king hate krone terminations, last time I used them they came in 3-4 different parts (each had their own box FFs) and there not colour coded either, yeah I know why colour is what pair but it still takes longer that way...

I find excel easier to punch down. Funnily enough, we did a huge job in London (40KM of CAT6 IIRC) and some "top guy" came from Connectix to come look at the install, and he asked us how we liked the new panels and boxes of cable, cable is s**t (who invented f**king drums that sit on stands inside boxes?!?) but panels he told us where a new type that are easier to punch down.

Case study for that job, we ended up becoming approved installers, as we was subbies to BEG the actual employee pretended he did it all :(

http://www.connectixcablingsystems.com/content/getFile.cfm?file=544

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Mate Leone panels are piss easy and look the neatest all nicely presented once done..

I'll find a link to the ones I mean, not sure which you had as not seen one in parts other than the lid..

Not colour coded is fine if you've done a Krone course ;) (what a load of balls that was!)