ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172, 172 cup

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

Going to see a Clio 172 and 172 cup at the weekend, both from the same dealership. Both have around 70,000 miles. Ive read up on them and what to look for when buying.

Does anyone have some advice for someone who only has been looking at these cars for about week, and what sort of price i should be paying for each?

And how fun actually are these cars to drive and costly to own? This would be my second car and drove a 1.2 polo so anything will feel fast to be fair. But if anyone has any buying advice, experiences it would be much appreciated. 👍

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You'll be paying more for the Cup if the dealer has their prices right.

Both cost the same to maintain, although the Cup is cheaper and simpler on the cam belt/aux belt change with the lack of air con.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I love my 182 and a 172 will be very similar to drive, surprisingly expensive to insure for me last year so double check that before you buy.
I'd be checking for any obvious rust and do a decent test drive to see how it feels. Feel free to post the ads for both and I'm sure the people on here will happily look over them.

cupguy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Look for electrics. Test them all, especially windscreen washers, electric mirrors and back windscreen wiper. Not hugely expensive or difficult to fix or get parts for, but common to not be working.

Check for rust around the petrol cap. Small signs of bubbling is to be expected, but make sure it's not bad. Run your hand up under the wheel arch towards to the back of the fuel cap and check for any signs of rust.

The cars aren't inexpensive to run. I'm constantly doing little jobs to it but the prices for parts aren't crazy either. Do a search of the forum and get a list of everything to check, especially last time cam/aux/dephaser changed.

As hopgop said my insurance also not too cheap and i'm not a young driver although I do have 2 SP30s :)

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I love my 182 and a 172 will be very similar to drive, surprisingly expensive to insure for me last year so double check that before you buy.
I'd be checking for any obvious rust and do a decent test drive to see how it feels. Feel free to post the ads for both and I'm sure the people on here will happily look over them.
There both on BDS Automotives, Located in Wigan. They seem to have a few which have sold quickly.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
There both on BDS Automotives, Located in Wigan. They seem to have a few which have sold quickly.
The non-cup looks a little rough around the edges, wrong headlights and the rear wiper delete looks a bit naff, but that's picking faults a bit on a car coming up on 20 years old, plus nothing that can't be sorted. The cup looks very nice, whether it's worth an extra £3k is the question of course. BTT know their 1*2's I believe, so you probably can't go too wrong (famous last words I know).

cupguy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I love my 172 Cup. Such a fun car to drive. they do turn heads, you don't see a lot of them around these days. Just need to keep on top of the jobs and look after it and you'll have a fun memorable car.

PH2 172
Sorry to hijack thread but it’s sort of relevant. I am also currently in the market for a 1*2 and at first I wanted a 172 cup. However the more I read, the more horror stories there are about the cup not having abs and you’re basically going to end up in a ditch.
true or just over exaggerated?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sorry to hijack thread but it’s sort of relevant. I am also currently in the market for a 1*2 and at first I wanted a 172 cup. However the more I read, the more horror stories there are about the cup not having abs and you’re basically going to end up in a ditch.
Totally exaggerated, crappy tyres will put you in a ditch faster than not having ABS

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As above, the ABS is the last line of defence of a long chain of parts.

I've been caught out once with no abs on my cup hard on the brakes on a hot dry day, just keep in mind it's not got abs and be mindful of it in poor conditions.

Also worth keeping in mind it's a 20+ year old car now, not somthing I'd want to daily drive and expect the reliability and parts supply you had 15yrs ago.

Many do daily drive them, but most will be handy with tools, clued up and keeping on top of the maintenance

I think you've really go to think nowadays about whether they're sensible to use daily, they're not simple to look after (simple work but a lot of it), parts are getting harder, rot pretty badly, pretty bad on fuel and expensive to tax, not to mention the lack of comfort!

Awesome cars, and a cup would be a good investment but I wouldn't want to use one all year round in poor weather etc, performance is great but you're going to use it maybe 5% of the time.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check for rust everywhere. Seen quite a few rusty clio's recently. Rest is all easy to fix, bodywork and welding is expensive.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I say live a little, life's too short to drive something boring, OP probably isn't in the position to run two cars, I know I'm not. I am fortunate enough where I work from home most of the time, so my car is a bit less essential and it's not the end of the world if the car is at the garage for a day or two, but mine's not let me down (yet). As long as you don't expect the reliability of a brand new car, keep on top of the maintenance and be a bit mindful when you're driving, I don't see a big issue really. Plus it's a good opportunity to learn a bit of working on your own car, even if it's just the very basics like myself.
Personally I'd be wary of no ABS, but I haven't driven a car without it, probably worth doing some private road testing to feel what locks the brakes and what doesn't so that you know what to do.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
The non-cup looks a little rough around the edges, wrong headlights and the rear wiper delete looks a bit naff, but that's picking faults a bit on a car coming up on 20 years old, plus nothing that can't be sorted. The cup looks very nice, whether it's worth an extra £3k is the question of course. BTT know their 1*2's I believe, so you probably can't go too wrong (famous last words I know).
Yeah just weighing up what to do, a r.s 200 comes into the decision too. But i dont think ill be able to get a car like the 172 cup again if i dont know.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Yeah just weighing up what to do, a r.s 200 comes into the decision too. But i dont think ill be able to get a car like the 172 cup again if i dont know.
now*
I say live a little, life's too short to drive something boring, OP probably isn't in the position to run two cars, I know I'm not. I am fortunate enough where I work from home most of the time, so my car is a bit less essential and it's not the end of the world if the car is at the garage for a day or two, but mine's not let me down (yet). As long as you don't expect the reliability of a brand new car, keep on top of the maintenance and be a bit mindful when you're driving, I don't see a big issue really. Plus it's a good opportunity to learn a bit of working on your own car, even if it's just the very basics like myself.
Personally I'd be wary of no ABS, but I haven't driven a car without it, probably worth doing some private road testing to feel what locks the brakes and what doesn't so that you know what to do.
Yes i totally agree with you, im only 18 but want to get through as many cool older cars before theres none left. Thanks for the reply.

Clio 172 Cup.
That's a load of twaddle (IMO), I have no issue with mine and also sprint my 172 Cup at Curborough and although sometimes it locks up when braking hard after the finish line (I hit that at 84mph each time) its still controllable (see my avatar picture!). Even in wet its ok.
Personally, I would take the Cup. think they look so much nicer standard.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
We all used to do just fine in the old cars with no abs, dont see what the panic is not having it. No problem for a good driver, shouldnt be relying on it to pull you out the s**t at the last minute regardless.

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The Cup brakes are fine. Loads of feel and very easy to modulate. I don’t ever remember locking a wheel on the road.

It did spit me off at Curborough once, but that was because the rears locked due to a knackered compensator.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
We all used to do just fine in the old cars with no abs, dont see what the panic is not having it. No problem for a good driver, shouldnt be relying on it to pull you out the s**t at the last minute regardless.

This.

99% of the time you're not braking hard enough to activate abs anyway.

Can probably count on one hand the amount of times it's kicked in for me on the 182 in the 9 years I've had it.

Clio 172 Cup.
The Cup brakes are fine. Loads of feel and very easy to modulate. I don’t ever remember locking a wheel on the road.

It did spit me off at Curborough once, but that was because the rears locked due to a knackered compensator.
@Rob Thomson are you entered in the HSA Sprint Weekend 8th and 9th October? I have been looking at entry list - if its you there is only you in Standard so far. I fancy entering my 197 in standard the one day and the 172 Cup in the road cars the other but would need to d as 2 seperate entries - hence missing the £45 saving so i am just waiting for Cathie to come back to me if she can amend 1 car if i apply online.

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
@Rob Thomson are you entered in the HSA Sprint Weekend 8th and 9th October? I have been looking at entry list - if its you there is only you in Standard so far. I fancy entering my 197 in standard the one day and the 172 Cup in the road cars the other but would need to d as 2 seperate entries - hence missing the £45 saving so i am just waiting for Cathie to come back to me if she can amend 1 car if i apply online.
Yep, that’s me!

Currently planning to use my 200, but might dust off the 172 instead… 🤔

Clio 172 Cup.
Have to do both cars as separate entries as different classes etc. I can understand that, will get that done this week. Should be good, last weekend Sprinting for the season.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172 Cup
One of my rear running lights has just gone on my 172 cup, think ive got what bulb it is, but just double checking. Does anyone know what bulb it is?

Thanks

Attachments

• 0FF9F417-D580-49FE-9CA7-D652E87BE6D0.jpeg
    0FF9F417-D580-49FE-9CA7-D652E87BE6D0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38