ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Cup Ride Height following new suspension

richardg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Hi All,

Had the front suspension refreshed last week by local garage with Renault parts. It's a 182 Cup confirmed by the 60mm spacing. Its currently on 120k miles.

It has just had the following:

2 x OE front wishbones
2 x OE front cup shocks
2 x OE front top mounts
2 x OE front shock covers
4 x OE front anti roll bar bushes
2 x aftermarket bearings
1 x front left track rod end

It had new 182 cup front springs 30k miles ago. They have the blue and yellow mark on them which Renault confirmed as for the 182 Cup.

Since having the front end refresh the car sits a little higher at the front - the front bumper would catch on one side of our steep drive which it now easily clears. I've given it a few days to allow for any settle although I'd have thought that would have happened after a short test drive. The front is sitting at 360 mm each side measured from the centre of wheel to wheel arch. The rear sits at 340mm.

I contacted Renault to confirm I had been sent correct parts and they said yes and that both axles should be at the same height. They couldn't provide an actual measurement at that point. I read another post online which states 340mm front and rear.

For information the rear is on recent new shocks (less than 5k miles) but original springs which are not snapped at all. The rear end is on original bushes.

When I collected the car from the garage they mentioned that hey initially thought the new top mount where incorrect but once they drove the car off the lift they were happy. I have read that Renault have changed the top mounts.

Can people advise what height each axle should be sitting at please?

Does anyone have any ideas why the front is now sitting higher than before. I found a couple of posts mentioning a similar issues but not the resolution.

Car seems to drive fine in dry however in the wet was very tail happy which may not be related. It now feels much tighter at the front. No unusual noises apart from a little tyre noise from slightly worn tyres - suspect due to bearings / bushes / shocks / geometry.

Attached is the hunter tracking I had carried out following work - I'll probably create a separate post for this regarding rear end.

Thanks in advance for assistance. I've had her for 11 years now!

Plan to take her back to garage to discuss with mechanic tomorrow.

Ps it's also recently had all new brakes and slides all round plus a full bleed.

Attachments

• 20180827_184137.jpg
    20180827_184137.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 131
  dan's cast offs.
if the old top mounts were bad it will sit higher. also standard cup springs sit the front like a 4x4 as well!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When were the rear shocks and springs replaced? (Apologies if I’ve missed that)

If you’ve fitted brand new kit to the front and are running old/tired stuff on the rear, that would explain the height difference and the wayward handling.

richardg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
if the old top mounts were bad it will sit higher. also standard cup springs sit the front like a 4x4 as well!!

So new top mounts could have raised it 20mm over worn old? That seems like a lot but I'll look in a parts diagram if I can find one to see if that's plausible.

richardg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Should have popped some h&r or similar in
When were the rear shocks and springs replaced? (Apologies if I’ve missed that)

If you’ve fitted brand new kit to the front and are running old/tired stuff on the rear, that would explain the height difference and the wayward handling.

Rear shock are less than 5k miles old. Last 6 monts. Rear springs are original 120k miles. Do springs sag that much over time? 20mm?

I'm rather hoping someone with a standard car can confirm front and rear ride heights? A search suggests 340mm font and rear. I'm at 340mm rear. Renault are telling me they should be the same both axles but didn't provide a measurement.

richardg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Here's the link to the post that states both should be 340mm front and rear on 182 Cup: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=160&t=1004254

I'm at 340mm rear and 360 front following front suspension refresh. I didn't measure before but it was that high given it now easily clears a part of the driveway it has never done before. Front springs have not been changed which as I understand it is what control ride height?

Another post with a similar issue - although mine does not look as extreme as that: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/c...ow-sits-high.804168/#lg=post-11317028&slide=1

richardg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Did you torque up the wishbones at full drop, not mid travel through their arc?

Hi, I don't know. I'll check with mechanic tomorrow. How should it be done? I asked Renault and they said at full drop. I'd have thought at normal ride height.

I've just noticed despite checking with Renault that they didn't send me the revised top mount spacers so I certainly have some sort of mix in the top mounts. I checked with them before and after purchase and then when I noticed the issue and they confirmed I had everything and all correct.

Does anyone know if the top mount spacer can be replaced whilst fitted to car or if the full strut assembly has to be removed for this?

See this: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/172-new-top-mount-modified-spacer-issues.641094/

and this: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/182-cup-suspension-top-mount-problem.631424/page-2