ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2 K4J 72kw swap for F4R 99kw - driveshafts and wheel hubs? front stabilizer?

Clio 2003 1.4 72kw
Hi there guys,

I found there info from you that I can pretty much easily switch K4J 72kw engine in my car for F4R 99kw from like Megane 2 etc, but dont found any word about driveshafts and wheel hubs, is there any difference in those? Do I need to buy different driveshafts when doing this swap? Usually they are thicker for stronger engines so thats why I ask...

Also are there some small culprits to prepare for before doing this swap? If I have whole electricity from F4R are there some problems to prepare for?

And another question is please what are my possible changes for front stabilizer? If I put heavier engine I suppose I should change stab for some thicker one? Now I have standard 24mm

thank you very much for any advices!

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hi there guys,

I found there info from you that I can pretty much easily switch K4J 72kw engine in my car for F4R 99kw from like Megane 2 etc, but dont found any word about driveshafts and wheel hubs, is there any difference in those? Do I need to buy different driveshafts when doing this swap? Usually they are thicker for stronger engines so thats why I ask...

Also are there some small culprits to prepare for before doing this swap? If I have whole electricity from F4R are there some problems to prepare for?

And another question is please what are my possible changes for front stabilizer? If I put heavier engine I suppose I should change stab for some thicker one? Now I have standard 24mm

thank you very much for any advices!
Hi,
Some info for you as its a Job I did in the past.
Driveshafts are ok with jb1,jb3,jc5 gearbox. So as long as you use one of them you can use oem shafts.
Using oem shafts enables to to keep wheel hubs, brakes, suspension, arb, whishbones.

Obviously they are thin compared to the ones fitted on 172/182.
If you want the thicker ones you have To go with full sport widetrack conversion because spline is different.
So.. wishbones,wheel hubs, brakes, shocks, arb etc..
You can build a hybrid hub if you have nice shocks.. but it requires a bit of work and to fiddle for camber.
I did a set in the past but not worth hassle.

If you have engine out of a clio with its loom+ecu+uch+keys its almost a straight job.
Obviously you will also need exhaust.

For stabilizer.. its tied to wishbones.. so for **n-bomb** you need the whole setup. Totally different fixing points

Clio 2003 1.4 72kw
Hi,
Some info for you as its a Job I did in the past.
Driveshafts are ok with jb1,jb3,jc5 gearbox. So as long as you use one of them you can use oem shafts.
Using oem shafts enables to to keep wheel hubs, brakes, suspension, arb, whishbones.

Obviously they are thin compared to the ones fitted on 172/182.
If you want the thicker ones you have To go with full sport widetrack conversion because spline is different.
So.. wishbones,wheel hubs, brakes, shocks, arb etc..
You can build a hybrid hub if you have nice shocks.. but it requires a bit of work and to fiddle for camber.
I did a set in the past but not worth hassle.

If you have engine out of a clio with its loom+ecu+uch+keys its almost a straight job.
Obviously you will also need exhaust.

For stabilizer.. its tied to wishbones.. so for **n-bomb** you need the whole setup. Totally different fixing points

thank you very much for info,

I dont think that 99kw engine was fitted to Clios or am I wrong??? the 99kw F4R I found out is from Megane 2 with 6 speed gearbox (dont know the box code) so thx for info and what to look for thats exactly what i needed to know

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

I dont think that 99kw engine was fitted to Clios or am I wrong??? the 99kw F4R I found out is from Megane 2 with 6 speed gearbox (dont know the box code) so thx for info and what to look for thats exactly what i needed to know
RS Clios were fitted with 172/182bhp engines (130-135kw) but had a JC5 gearbox which is quite similar to the JB1/JB3 found in 1.2/1.4/1.6 Clios

The Megane will likely have a JR5 gearbox which is cable shifted and very different, these also came in the 100bhp dCi Clio II, Twingo, Clio III, Modus and Kangoo

Clio 172 + Clio200T

No, that version was not fitted to the clio. Clio only had the RS version of F4R with cast plenum and 5 speed JC5 gearbox.
If that engine has the 6speed gearbox its not a straight fit and the box may also not fit at all.
I remember someone trying to fit a ND0 from Megane RS (F4RT lump) and it was an ordeal to do..
So better stick with a clio lump or it may drive you mad.

Clio 2 k4j710/jb1
Hello)
By the way, can i ask about Clio 2 engine K4J710. Can i replace standard JB1 gearbox to some of JC5? (i heard, that JC5 much more stronger)

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hello)
By the way, can i ask about Clio 2 engine K4J710. Can i replace standard JB1 gearbox to some of JC5? (i heard, that JC5 much more stronger)
I am sure you can fit a JB3 because some K4m (1600cc) had it from factory and the casing is pretty much same, difference from k4j and k4m is the stroke.
Not sure about a JC5. Bolt pattern must be checked, but I think it should fit without so big modifications.
Point is.. why the hassle? JC5 is stronger than a JB1 but not a brilliant gearbox either.. and k4j does not have so much torque to put gearbox into troubles.
Had a k4j clio with jb1 for years. Did more than 130k kms having a lot of fun with it.. and gearbox worked like butter until the day I removed it from the shell.
Only at midway I had to replace the lower seal and 3rd gear fork as was a bit worn out

Clio 2 k4j710/jb1
I am sure you can fit a JB3 because some K4m (1600cc) had it from factory and the casing is pretty much same, difference from k4j and k4m is the stroke.
Not sure about a JC5. Bolt pattern must be checked, but I think it should fit without so big modifications.
Point is.. why the hassle? JC5 is stronger than a JB1 but not a brilliant gearbox either.. and k4j does not have so much torque to put gearbox into troubles.
Had a k4j clio with jb1 for years. Did more than 130k kms having a lot of fun with it.. and gearbox worked like butter until the day I removed it from the shell.
Only at midway I had to replace the lower seal and 3rd gear fork as was a bit worn out
Thank you for the answer. My JB1 gearbox after rebuild has covered about 20K km and already i feel vibrations like differential bearings was broken and lower seal leaked again (but i'm control oil level all the time). Maybe service man rebuild in not enough quality or roads not very good in my country. And i decide to think about more strong gearbox.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Thank you for the answer. My JB1 gearbox after rebuild has covered about 20K km and already i feel vibrations like differential bearings was broken and lower seal leaked again (but i'm control oil level all the time). Maybe service man rebuild in not enough quality or roads not very good in my country. And i decide to think about more strong gearbox.
20k km after a rebuild feels like there is something really wrong in it.
Engine is stock or modified?
I think roads has nothing to do with that, I had my old clio for the whole 130k km with very harsh suspension setup and also with anti torque engine support modified with aluminum core to avoid gear lever forth/back movements and in general for make the engine less bouncy in the engine bay.

Maybe the seal has been mounted not properly and damaged during fitting.
Speaking of insides.. it may be quality parts issue but most probably bad assembly or bad gear lever adjusting.

Those gearboxes have little details to check when rebuilding or they may go to catastrofic damage.
Just seen a mate ph1 RS'JC5 literally devastated after a bad rebuild. Lasted like 10minutes.

Anyway.. I think going JC5 is not the right answer, you would also have such long gears it would make your car unusable...
And by the way JC5 are now (at least here) hard to rebuild because many parts are no more available.. and are gearboxes known to be "forged" out of hardened chocolate.

Clio 2 k4j710/jb1
Engine is stock or modified?
It is stock 98hp
Maybe the seal has been mounted not properly and damaged during fitting.
Yeap, i'm agree))
Those gearboxes have little details to check when rebuilding or they may go to catastrofic damage.
Service man said, that him professional, specialized exclusively only on Renault models )))
Just seen a mate ph1 RS'JC5 literally devastated after a bad rebuild. Lasted like 10minutes.
Oh, god (((

Now i decide to remove engine with gearbox, and in this time, do it by myself. Hope, friends helps me)

Thank you for the ansewers and support)) We trying to do a troubleshooting firs, afrer we deside, replace to jb1/jb3 or rebuild this one. And maybe compare face to face my jb1 with jc5 with circle template and size.

Thank you)))

Clio 172 + Clio200T
It is stock 98hp

Yeap, i'm agree))

Service man said, that him professional, specialized exclusively only on Renault models )))

Oh, god (((

Now i decide to remove engine with gearbox, and in this time, do it by myself. Hope, friends helps me)

Thank you for the ansewers and support)) We trying to do a troubleshooting firs, afrer we deside, replace to jb1/jb3 or rebuild this one. And maybe compare face to face my jb1 with jc5 with circle template and size.

Thank you)))
Judging other people's job wouldnt be fair so.. beside this, surely something went wrong.
Now what's important is to check what failed and repair the gearbox so that it will be strong again.

When I remove gearbox from my track clio for maintenance I usually remove subframe, driveshafts, left side suspension and I remove it from there just loosening engine supports and hanging it with a engine crane.
Surely Friends help would be cool and handy.

Oh yeah if you have a jc5 at hand it would be easy to compare.

I have a k4j and a JB1 in my garage but only have a jc5 spare casing from diesel (salvaged syncros and forks) and I am not sure is same, didn't checked when I had mine on the ground :/

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldn't worry about swapping to the JC5 for strength, the JB3 is a fairly decent box anyway!

Are you sure your K4J has a JB1? aren't they all front starter motor?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
i wouldn't worry about swapping to the JC5 for strength, the JB3 is a fairly decent box anyway!

Are you sure your K4J has a JB1? aren't they all front starter motor?
K4j on mk2 has JB1 with starter on rear side as jc5, I can confirm as I owned for years and still have engine on a stand in my workshop

Clio 2 k4j710/jb1
Judging other people's job wouldnt be fair so..

After i getting back my Clio from service and drive about a few days, get one incident: antifreeze leak because of wrong installed small hose from upper hose coolant radiator to cabin heater. It was getting a cut, jammed between airflow receiver and it's iron mount. Fix it by myself, and afrer, again, in a few days, accidentally meet serviceman at gasoline station and told to him about incident with hose cut, him told "oh.. sorry.. it happens to everyone")))

Clio 2 k4j710/jb1

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-21-22-59-05-864_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-22-59-05-864_com.android.chrome.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 26