ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 59 plate seemingly big problems.

Clio 200
Hi all this is my first post and first time using the forum, I have problems with Clio 200, 59 plate on 114k miles, it probably already needed a new gearbox based on noise but it has drove ok until now, it's been making like a sssccchhh noise for ages while deccelarating/engine breaking which I just thought was a noisy gearbox and put up with. The problem I have now is worse like the whole car has gone bad, it shakes on idle, I've heard pinging from under the engine bay (could be exhaust), if I'm in neutral just letting it roll/jerking it on the brake at 1 mph and stop it's a strange loud clunk, steering all over the place like I'm aquaplaning, clunks badly just after I've released the clutch to change gear, the worst is a horrible noise/clunk/grind when in gear that seems to be worse on corners and a change in gradient. Sorry for the long story
could be a few faults all at once but I'm hoping it's mounts and it'll survive until the garage is open in a few weeks

Does it make a weird noise when you drop it out of gear at speed and let it 'coast' along?

Does the noise during deceleration stop when you put the clutch down?

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
It wont be engine mounts. At best i'd say its a combination of clutch, throw out bearing and cracked exhaust. Failing gearbox usually presents itself as a grinding between gears.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The dodgy steering and shaking at idle sounds worrying. Like you say, this sounds like multiple faults. Have you had the car long?

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Its a long shot but you could try turning it off.. then on again? Alot of the time this cures a range of anomalies for me.

Ben Cook

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 (2010)
Dodgy steering is usually down to lower ball joints in my experience. I also get the sssccchhh noise lift off but only at high rev. Be interested if anyone knows what it is. Engine and gearbox run sweet so wasn’t bothered as it’s not that loud.

Clio 200
IMG_20200326_174613~3.jpg

Does it make a weird noise when you drop it out of gear at speed and let it 'coast' along?

Does the noise during deceleration stop when you put the clutch down?
No it doesnt make a noise when coasting and yes it stops when clutch is down, thanks

Clio 200
It wont be engine mounts. At best i'd say its a combination of clutch, throw out bearing and cracked exhaust. Failing gearbox usually presents itself as a grinding between gears.
ok then I'll probably just have to wait to get it looked at properly I'm tempted to try and get an expert to drive it and give me a clue

Clio 200
That's
Dodgy steering is usually down to lower ball joints in my experience. I also get the sssccchhh noise lift off but only at high rev. Be interested if anyone knows what it is. Engine and gearbox run sweet so wasn’t bothered as it’s not that loud.
That's what I was like it ran fine so didn't worry but now I'm thinking maybe I should have sorted it

Clio 200
Can you get a video of the noises? It really could be anything mate
I might be able to I don't think you'll hear it over the exhaust though, I've just drove it seems to me like it has to be the gearbox, I'll try and get a video with the noises within an hour or 2

Clio 200
I might be able to I don't think you'll hear it over the exhaust though, I've just drove it seems to me like it has to be the gearbox, I'll try and get a video with the noises within an hour or 2
Not the synchros though, maybe the mounts or something it feels like its trying to jump out lol

Clio 200
It could be cv joints mate, but it could be the internals of the diff. Really difficult to say what it is without hearing it
Ok thanks I'm confident that something is moving which would explain the steering, the fact the noise seems worse around corners and bumps, and the shuddering at a standstill, and maybe the clunk after gear change