ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup MOT Failure (rear brakes)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yes, that topic again.

Before I go back to the test station with the printed notice in hand, I just wanted to check-in on this issue to ensure that I am talking sense. My car failed the MOT on the following:

"003 Brake load sensing valve linkage seized rear (3.6.E.3)"

Before I took the car in, I warned them about the potential rear brake issue and told them there was a VOSA notice about it. When I collected the car, I didn't argue it, as there were a couple of other minor failure points that needed addressing anyway. My car obviously hasn't failed under section 3.6 F4 as mentioned in the magazine but, in my humble opinion, I don't think it should have been a fail.

The tester is quite correct in that the linkage is seized. I've been under the car and checked. I tried to free it off but it is pretty solid. However, surely the reason that it has seized is due to the fact that it hasn't moved in over 13 years because it isn't even connected. Given the exemption, I don't think he should have had any need to test it in the first place. While he is correct in identifying that it doesn't move. Seeing as it doesn't have to move and the brake bias is locked, I see no reason for him to touch it in the first place. As a point of note, the rear brake efficiency was within MOT requirements.

I'm going to call them to day to book the retest and plan to take in a copy of the Matters of Testing issue, but I just want a sanity check first!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Whilst I agree with your reasoning I wonder whether regardless of its effect on the brakes the load valve has to be seen to 'operate'?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I did wonder that but, given how crusty it looks, I find it hard to believe that it would have been free last year, so that makes me think that they didn't test it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah I can understand that. Mine is fine for brake pressure (no advisories anyway), so the hydraulic element in mine is still working correctly. He just says that the arm needs to move, which I would contest, seeing as it isn't supposed to move from the factory!

Mondial Blue 172 Cup
I spent 10 minutes hitting mine with a hammer to free it up as neither of the rear brakes were recording any braking effort what so ever. Then cable tied it up and its been like that since. Go at it with a hammer until it moves haha

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I did a bit of that over the weekend, but it felt like I was going to break it rather than free it off lol.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Just to update this for anyone who is interested...

I just spoke to the DVSA and explained. They looked up the failure record and also the found the exemption for the Cup and agreed that it shouldn't have failed. The retest is booked for Friday afternoon, so we shall see.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Just to update this for anyone who is interested...

I just spoke to the DVSA and explained. They looked up the failure record and also the found the exemption for the Cup and agreed that it shouldn't have failed. The retest is booked for Friday afternoon, so we shall see.

Fingers crossed, good to hear that the DVSA listened to a common sense approach