ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cranking and Not Firing

Cars been fine for a good few months, starting and running perfectly.

Went out to start it last night (after driving it in the day) and it would just turn over and not start. It was late so I left it until this morning...

Key In > Ignition On > Fuel Pump Primes.

Turn Key To Start > Cranks but never fires up.

When cranking, the fuel pump does NOT run, which to me points towards the Immobiliser or TDC/Crank Sensor.

The last time this happened (exact same symptoms), it was an immobiliser fault (which was before I knew an emulator was required to get my car running). As soon as the Emulator was fitted, the car fired up on the first turn of the key without a problem.

The Emulator has 3 wires, and is internally soldered into the ECU. It was installed, and never touched since, so I cant see how it can be the problem which is causing this. I checked it anyway, it is getting 12v, has a good earth and is outputting 5v to the ECU Immobiliser Pin (54) (which is how it works). So I know the Emulator is working, I ruled this out for now...

I swapped the TDC/Crank Sensor for a known working one in case this was the issue, although it made no difference what so ever. Car still cranks and cranks and cranks, and never fires (fuel pump not running either). I cleaned the other sensor up that was on there originally, for the past 'x' months and working fine, and re-fitted it. Still nothing though, so id have to be incredibly unlucky for them both to be duds, considering the other one is off a working car.

Does anyone else know what could cause this problem? Does the coilpack have any sort of failsafe built into it? For example if its faulty it will stop the ECU from letting the Injector relay be released, to let the engine start?

Also, does anyone know if the Injector relay (that the ECU unlocks when it gets a valid TDC/Crank Signal and a known Immobiliser code) controls the running of the fuel pump when cranking/running? Before I start looking through wiring diagrams?

Ive swapped the relays round, and checked all the fuses...So I dont think they could be causing a problem (unless im unlucky enough to have nackered all the relays). Is there anything else that would cause this problem/symptoms? As far as im aware the only things that cause the cranking and not starting are immobiliser/or/TDC....?

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

Yeah

I keep meaning to get rid of it but anyway its fully depressed. I think when its active/popped up the pump wont run at all...

I turned the ignition off and on to position 2 about 10-15 times not long ago, priming every time, then tried to start it. It fired up for second or so then just went off. So that surely rules out any immobiliser issue, as the injectors dont even fire if its active?! so no fuel would be getting into the cylinder..!?

Just checked...

Ignition position 2, priming...

0v--------12v for a second or so-----0v

Then Cranking

8v-10v

Which is odd, as im sure the pump isnt running on cranking. I suppose I could pop the fuel line off and put it into a can and see if its coming out while cranking.

All the plugs were dry, and im getting fuel to the rail on cranking...came out of the line into a jerry can as it should.

Coilpack is getting a voltage on cranking, but no spark what-so-ever. So im hoping its the coilpack that is knackered, going to test another one and go from there.

Vw caddy tdi
Sounds like relay or tdc fault to me. In the relay box the one in the middle is rad fan other outside two are fuel rail/injectors and other is for pump. Just one relay fault will shut down entire fuel start system. Have you tried rotating the relays?

yeah, tried rotating them.

Thing is fuel is coming to the line on priming and cranking (checked with jerry can)...the coil is also getting voltage on cranking, which the TDC will not allow if its getting an insufficient signal, surely?

Unsure if the actual injectors themselves are firing, but there was no spark at all from the coilpack even though it was getting a voltage on cranking