ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dealer told me scary story about alarms!

A black one

I was chatting to an expert today (well they were an authorised dealer/installer) and they said that if you get a Cat 1 alarm (eg the clifford 650) installed on a car that already has a Cat 2 immobiliser that they have to disable the immobiliser to install the alram! WTF!?

I dont know if they were talking sh1t or what, but isnt that counter productive? I mean you pay lots of money for the alarm, but now your car can actually be stolen & driven away (albeit with a siren blaring!) whereas without an alarm its more likely to be broken into but at least its not getting nicked!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Please tell me the guy was wrong...

A black one

So your saying that the alarm will have a seperate imobiliser then?

So the car will still be protected from being driven away?

thats correct...normally though, if the cat 2 is built into the key we leave them alone n give you double protection....std cat 2 and the clifford immobiliser working side by side. Some cars thou, dont allow this so you have to remove the std cat 2, but it is covered by the clifford so dont worry, BE HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!! clifford rule......

Clio 1.4, SV650S

you can get upgrades too, i assume these use the standard immobiliser and the clifford system covers the alarm?

clio 16v

mine is like that, still have to use the reno key to turn the immobilisor off, before it will start, irritating, but good, cos even is some1 did nick my keys, they wouldnt know what to do!

I have the CAT1 alarm and immboliser from my concept 650 and also have my standard manufactuer one on, they are both working together with one another, bit of a pain disabling them both each time, but its gotta be more secure.

argh!!! clifford :( hehe.. pretty much as leeboy said.. would have a cobra 2-1 upgrade myself.. but what do i know (heh;))