ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

declaring mods

172cup
I got a tad freaked out by all these threads about declaring mods and called my insurance company.......
with 228 pounds ive insured tints, springs, Milltek, Maxogen, gear knob and wheels.
I feel so good after coming clean about it.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'm about to insure with, I was amazed when they said you can do what the f*ck you like to your car mate.

As long as I don't exceed 180bhp I can do anything to it as long as I tell them.

That's who i'm about to insure with, I was amazed when they said you can do what the f*ck you like to your car mate.
As long as I don't exceed 180bhp I can do anything to it as long as I tell them.

They are spot on, and at renewal time they dont whack the premuin up like most, mine came down nearly £100 at renewal and aded me no claims protection.

Cash-back.

172cup
thanks for being so f**king negative!

im stuck with Elephant for a while as its the first year I drive in uk and i need building up NCB

Jap Box
You declared tints and a gear knob? :rasp: good on you for doing it though but id have just left them two out really.

Yeah fair play mate for doing it legitimate. Should always declare mods, if you don't and you kill someone, your insurance will be null and void, and a right royal shafting on it's way.

I take it Elephant do the 10 month bonus accelerator?

I did that with Bell for a few year, really good for getting no claims FAST lol

172cup
many wont accept them, especially in Uk because you re driving on a different side of the road which you re used to.
They consider how long you ve been having a license though.

172cup
Yeah fair play mate for doing it legitimate. Should always declare mods, if you don't and you kill someone, your insurance will be null and void, and a right royal shafting on it's way.

I take it Elephant do the 10 month bonus accelerator?

I did that with Bell for a few year, really good for getting no claims FAST lol

yeah im doing the 10 months fast lane program :D sounds good.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm about to insure with, I was amazed when they said you can do what the f*ck you like to your car mate.

Interesting .. how will they prove your engine (or fly or at the hubs?) is putting out 181hp once it's rolled into a ditch, run upside-down and the pistons sieze in the block due to oil starvation !?

Interesting .. how will they prove your engine (or fly or at the hubs?) is putting out 181hp once it's rolled into a ditch, run upside-down and the pistons sieze in the block due to oil starvation !?

When I asked them that they said its down to the mods, so exhaust etc etc is all fine, as they never increase bhp really. It's cams/charging/Itb's they class as performance enhancing mods

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I took it to mean you can have a generic remap because on a NA engine you wont see more than around 10bhp,
whereas cams, forged internals etc can be spotted by serial numbers.

They said they judge power mods by taking the factory power output of the engine and just
add the proposed power gains from a remap to it.

We all know that's no way to judge power output, but how else are they going to come to some kind of BHP figure without RR printouts, not that they're very accurate either.

Last edited:
  172cup
Yeah I did that with Bell for the first 2 years of my car-ownership, builds up your no claims fast and is accepted by most insurers so all good :)

Out of interest mate, when did you move to Britain?

I moved 3 years ago but it took me a while to make my mind up about a car.
About Brentacre, Im definitely gonna give it a shot as soon as my insurance expires.