ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dell inspiron 6400

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys, i think my system is corupt and i need the reinstall disc, i cant find it at all! Does anyone have this laptop and the disc that i could lend lol?

Clio 172
What operating system has it got mate?

Reason I ask is Dell have been sing recovery partitions for a long time now, therefore you may not need the disk.

Try hitting F8/f12 during the dell screen at boot up

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Its completely broke mate. The message im getting is
ab2977c4.jpg

I have tried the f12 but it doesnt hav a reinstall option. Its windows vista and is about 5 year old now.
At
The moment iv pressed f2 and it is doing some sort of tests but i think its the reinstall disc i need to set it back to factory spec

Clio 172
I THINK F12 might be a diagnostic thing. Have you tried F8? That seems to work from what I Have read. Corruption SHOULDN'T of effected the recovery partition

What did you do for it to start doing that?

The recovery partition is exactly thr same as the DVD, just an image of how your laptop came from the factory.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Well for a while its been broke, when i turn it on, i get this normal screen, but it never does anything and juststays like that forever
fd3595e3.jpg

then when i press the power button for it togo off i get this screen, again it doesnt do anything an the only way i can get it off is holding my finger down on the power button
991cb9f8.jpg

hen last night, it just gives the BOOtMGR is missing screen. This test screen was from pressing f2
f6a5a3d8.jpg

this is what im sat waiting for now.

I did run the hover over it last night as it had been gathering dust for some time lol, it was after that i got the bootmgr is missing screen but imagine thats a coincidence and the dyson hasnt caused it

Bumder With A Buffer
You sucked it up in the dyson who idiot!

Open the dyson up and have a look to see if its there....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You hoovered the boot up into the hoover ffs!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. That doesnt work, what a piece of rubbish!

Would love a mac but its not something i can even concider, cant afford one. Really hope i can fix my dell somehow. Cant go on for much longer using my iphone for everything

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Can you access another computer, then create a repair disk to try and run a windows repair on this one.

To create a system repair disc

Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

In the left pane, click Create a system repair disc, and then follow the steps. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Just download a Dell Windows Vista CD image from wherever (it's not illegal as you have a license !) burn it and use that to re-install/repair.

My bigger concern would be that you have a hardware fault.. probably HDD but not always. If you get stuck on the Dell installation CD let me know.. I have a ton of them (seriously.. I have a drawer full of them lol) although I think all my Vista disks are business not home edition.. not that we even use Vista.

Try running a few diagnostics on it.. try the dell diagnostics first.. although I found that next to useless, or try downloadable bootable CD diagnostic tools, particularly ones that analise the HDD.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks.

I did the diagnostics on the laptop and everything was fine, aparantly anyway.

I dont have another laptop to be able to download the windows cd that i meed thats the problem.

Anyone fancy doing one for me that i can buy from you if you post it to me lol?

BMW F21 125d
I have a Vista SP1 boot disc if thats what you need? If youve got a product key thats all you need....

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Thabks badger, some one has PM'd me allready and going to burn the disc i need and send it to me so hopefully that will fix it

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Never sorted this, i have a disc with windows 7 on but when i put it in, it wont load the disc. Back when trying to sort it i was told i needed to download something from a working pc on a memory stick and then put it in my broken dell which will basically make the dell read the windows 7 disc.

problem is i cant remember exactly what it is i need to download/do, trying again to sort this lol, can anyone help?

Austin