ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Depot printing?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

I thought I'd run this one by the wise-old sages of CS as I'm making a simple issue, quite complex!

We currently run a Windows 2008 domain with a rough 50/50 split between Windows XP and Windows 7 clients. A good chunk of these are laptops and we're asked every now and then to setup a depot's printers onto an arriving laptop.

Basically, say Dave worked out of the Wirral depot, then visits the Birmingham depot on his rounds, we'd like to his laptop to gain local printer access when he logs on at Brum. From what I can ascertain, this would be far better via policy on the computer name, rather than a username - but are there any counter-arguments to that?

Each depot operates as a seperate OU within AD. But my concern is that as people travel around, the list of printers 'installed' on their laptop just grows forever larger.

I'm thinking I can't see the wood for the trees on this one - so any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
D.