ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

difference between a HD DVD and a Blueray DVD??

i just typed it in on ebay instead of blueray and realised the cases are difference and just wondered if there was an actual picture quality difference. cheers

tiTTy & SV650
Similar quality, different technology - HD DVD lost the fight, can pick them up very cheaply but doubt there's any new releases.

If you have an xbox 360 you can get an HD DVD player for it and buy the back catalogue of HD DVDs for pennies

Never above 25mpg
To some overly sceptical nerd with 4" thick glasses then there may be a difference but physically I dont notice any.

BluRay did win the war. HD DVD is no longer produced.

dk

911 GTS Cab
FLOL, love it!

Oh and its Bluray ;)

Its only the physical method of carrying the data, the codecs used were mostly the same and so the picture would be identical anyway. HD-DVD was very good, just didn't have the support sony did, think it was when warner bros. decided to switch and the ps3 sales killled it off.

FLOL, love it!

Oh and its Bluray ;)

Its only the physical method of carrying the data, the codecs used were mostly the same and so the picture would be identical anyway. HD-DVD was very good, just didn't have the support sony did, think it was when warner bros. decided to switch and the ps3 sales killled it off.

I vaguely remember that when they first came out PlayUSA had it on their site that HD-DVD was 4x DVD quality and BR was 6x.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i guess they could have been talking about the size of the disc compared to dvd and then translated into quality wrongly.

I do remember that aswell Dan, but as McBunny says, its a false statement, it all depended on the codec they used, and a lot of the time it was the same one.

They really are brilliant and anyone that says they can't tell the difference is either deluded or blind! Lol.

I just don't see BR as a winning format. Everyone wants things instantly. I have far more films now in a media format than I have in disc. Yeh, it's nice to have them all lined up on a shelf but the costs associated with it aren't great.

I think if iTunes do subscription service (as rumoured) then the physical sales will really start to drop.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
They really are brilliant and anyone that says they can't tell the difference is either deluded or blind! Lol.

I just don't see BR as a winning format. Everyone wants things instantly. I have far more films now in a media format than I have in disc. Yeh, it's nice to have them all lined up on a shelf but the costs associated with it aren't great.

I think if iTunes do subscription service (as rumoured) then the physical sales will really start to drop.

Tend to agree, I've held off buying a lot as to honest I don't want the things on a shelf/in a drawer.

Would much rather just have a file and store it on my nework storage, much neater.

Saying that I have just bought Bladerunner lol

dk

911 GTS Cab
Tend to agree, I've held off buying a lot as to honest I don't want the things on a shelf/in a drawer.

Would much rather just have a file and store it on my nework storage, much neater.

Saying that I have just bought Bladerunner lol
bladerunner is amazing on bluray, first time i have seen it too, the soundtrack is out of this world.

dk

911 GTS Cab

the problem in this country is internet speed, we don't have the infrastructure yet to be having everyone downloading HD content over the existing service.

A hd movie is a big download if set at the same quality as a bluray disc, say 20gb, thats going to take a long time over most people's internet and a lot are capped at 20gb for the cheaper services too, just not setup to handle it yet imo

Citroen DS3 DSport
The iTunes HD downloads are very low bitrate in comparison to a BD, they don't really compare at all.

iTunes is usually less than 8Mbps, Sky HD is between 11-15Mbps and BD's are a maximum of 40Mbps.

HD DVD had a max bitrate in the mid 20's

Last edited:
  Megane 230 F1
I vaguely remember that when they first came out PlayUSA had it on their site that HD-DVD was 4x DVD quality and BR was 6x.

Same resolution. Similar codecs. The biggest difference is disc-size and how the content is loaded. BluRay discs load a java-based application to control menus and special features during playback.