ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY viper air feed

My attempt at getting cooler air into my viper without useing the restrictive feed.

I used 125mm aluminium ducting pipe from screwfix (approx £10).

I am hoping its worth an extra 10bhp:clown:, well I am sure it is a bit of an improvement anyway! It seems quite isolated from the back of the radiator and engine.

Attachments

• cold1.jpg
    cold1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 76
  • cold2.jpg
    cold2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 73
  • cold3.jpg
    cold3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 69
  • cold4.jpg
    cold4.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 76
  Clio 172
Without fully studying the airflow through an engine, that seems a remote spot to be taking air from ie one that would have warmer air? Also, won't the aluminium ducting heat up somewhat. Hmmm not enough to affect the air inside it I suppose - I'll shut up now:eek: :quiet:

clio-lane said:
Without fully studying the airflow through an engine, that seems a remote spot to be taking air from ie one that would have warmer air? Also, won't the aluminium ducting heat up somewhat. Hmmm not enough to affect the air inside it I suppose - I'll shut up now:eek: :quiet:

Aluminium is used in many heat shielding applications as it is very good at deflecting radiant heat.

The heat sources under the bonnet are the engine and radiator. I dont see how the area behind the headlamp is going to be warmer then behind the radiator and next to the engine?

Clio 172
Mark - hence I shut up;)

But, won't there be less air flow in that position. Isn't the idea of a cold air feed to feed the best source of cold air, so an entrance in the front of the car would be preferred???

172 phaseII
clio-lane said:
Mark - hence I shut up;)

But, won't there be less air flow in that position. Isn't the idea of a cold air feed to feed the best source of cold air, so an entrance in the front of the car would be preferred???

if you look look in the front corner, he has left the original duct for the standard airbox that i think goes down by the front bumper/ arch lining???

The OMEX unit is a standalone engine management system. Allows for use of cable throttle body.

A quick update on my air feed. Went out for a quick spin got back and checked it, see picture, it has collapsed!!

I suppose I best invest in a proper bit of air feed pipe!

Attachments

• cold5.jpg
    cold5.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 65
  172 phaseII
oh no! must be to do with the movement of engine, and the feed hitting that bar.
i probably would get some semi-rigid stuff for like cooker extractor hoods, and do similar to the same you have done, but maybe not join it to the viper? maybe?

It is the rigid stuff where it is corrugated but I flattened it out so much to get it through the gap it was like tin foil!

The more I look at that cramped arrangement the more I think battery relocation is going to be a good idea.

Attachments

• better_feed.jpg
    better_feed.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 62