ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Due an upgrade... Ideas?

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I've had my Canon 300d for a few years now and it's served me well, but I feel it's due an upgrade...

My main complaint is the tiny LCD screen and the fact that if I go above ISO 400 my pictures come out very noisy. I took my first action shots yesterday (BMX) and was disappointed with the results. I'm sure a better photographer could take better shots with my camera, but my friends agree that I'm ready for something more up to date.

As I've got plenty of gear already would it be fair to say that I should stick with Canon and just replace the body? I know nothing about the range of Canon cameras so I've no idea what would be the next step up from what I'm using.

I want to spend as little as possible and would consider buying second hand, so no more than £500!?

What you reckon??

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Selling bike because unemployed and skint.

Buying new camera equipment.

Cannot compute. :S

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Hey man, I bought a canon 50D off eBay for £400 last year, fast frame burst rate and fast focus system and will work with your current equipment, mine only had 5000 shutter actuation a aswell, have a good hunt on eBay! I highly recommend the canon 40d too which you can get cheap 2nd hand :) have a research! Or if you don't want a big body like them I recommend 550d :) which I previously owned!

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I've no idea how to start looking tbh, hence asked for advice... Thanks though, at least I can start googling the recommendations!

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Okay mate, just look at what you photograph more off and then base it upon that, sports fast frame rate, low light good iso noise performance that kind of stuff?:) and just google your preferences?:) or if your just still a beginner enthusiastic to still learn, look into the 500d-650d canon camera model range, entry level models that still give amazing image quality! Just let us know what you're choices are when you've found something you like?:) hope this sort of helps:p

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Cheers dude... I'm not after anything in particular, just a good all-rounder. I ride BMX so I'll most likely take it with me when I go riding, especially as my mates are really good lol. I do like landscape photography though and would like to have a crack at HDR.

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Well there ya go :) all those things can be achieved on all modern entry level dslr get a tripod and look into exposure bracketing for you hdr work :) or learn how to do it manually its not really difficult, get correct exposure on one image, under expose by 2 on one and over expose by 2 on another, then get some hdr merging software (just a free one off tinternet) alter to how you sees fit and voila :) I think? I don't do hdr much myself tbh

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I'm not a complete novice, I just don't know much about cameras. I use the one I've got regularly because I enjoy taking pictures, I don't use any auto settings and have a tripod. I just require a better camera body. Thanks for the tips though.

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Full manual all the way!:) yeah mate I get you, well you'll be fine with all the ones suggested! :) reminds me of when I had time to actually take photos :( only get a chance on my days off :( abit crap tbf

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Jamie’s idea of the 50D is a good idea. Especially if you’re going to shoot BMX stuff. Plus it’ll last you longer as the more advanced body made of metal with a larger grip and more pro like features so it should be fine for when you get further into your photography. I’d do this over getting a beginner body, I had a Nikon D40- pretty much the Nikon equivalent of your 300D, so I upgraded to the D5100- the Nikon Equivalent of the 600D and after a year I felt like I wanted something more advanced and lead to me getting a D7000. The more advanced body is giving me room to improve and use more advanced features as I go on with my photography and I don’t feel the need for another upgrade until I eventually go full frame.

So long story short buy a more advanced body such as the 50D.

Dynamique 1.2 16v
All the above are the reason I went for it! :) fits nicer in the hand (got a grip on it too) really nice to hold, feels secure with it's metal body wil last a long time!

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Thanks for the info :) My best friend is an experienced photographer so he's been really helpful with my photography, only problem is he's a Nikon fanboy and knows nothing about Canon's at all lol.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bargain, get a few pictures of it, see what the shutter count is (tbf these are meant to be rated at like 100,000 I think so you should be fine) mines at 12,000 now still working beautifully!

Even of its at 100k I wouldn't worry that much. Shutters can be replaced. Don't think it's 'that' far from you dude .. You'll notice the buttons are all shiny and worn out if its a high miler I'd think. Says its hardly been used. I say go fr it !!

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Even of its at 100k I wouldn't worry that much. Shutters can be replaced. Don't think it's 'that' far from you dude .. You'll notice the buttons are all shiny and worn out if its a high miler I'd think. Says its hardly been used. I say go fr it !!

Twos on that one!:) what TheEvilGiraffe says :)

With 3+ years of experince, I'd move up the range now man... Wouldn't get a 650, personally - with that level of experience.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I'm no expert but I've owned the camera a good 3/4 years and understand shutter speed, aperture and ISO... That's about it though lol.

Lol fair enough man. Well, perhaps a 650D is for you then! Or maybe even just a 600D if you're not fussed about touch screen.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I'd tackle the 50D I think and learn more... 18 months ago I was still on full-auto!

I have a 550D, the missus a 600D and both are fantastic even after 2 years shooting with them.
For skating shots etc they are very light and easier to swing around.
I'd say the xxD series is a good bet with your budget though and with the lenses you already have.
I wouldn't worry in the slightest about shutter counts either.
Mine is now around 41k shots and it works like a dream.
Not quite the same, but a friend got about 242k shots from an xD before it needed a new shutter, so they do go well!

G51 BEN
My dad has the 600D and it's a great camera... I'm about to buy a Nikon D5100 though I think! I have a budget of around £650 so im going to get a D5100 with kit lens, a 55mm 200mm, and a nifty fifty lens

My dad has the 600D and it's a great camera... I'm about to buy a Nikon D5100 though I think! I have a budget of around £650 so im going to get a D5100 with kit lens, a 55mm 200mm, and a nifty fifty lens
Boooo, get Canon. You can share lenses with your dad then, too.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
So in a nutshell, I should be looking at either the 600D or the 50D and working out which is best for me? :)