ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 328ci

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
This car has sort of temporarily put a stop to Clio progress, but it does give me a chance to save up for engine mods next year!
But basically, me and my step dad are off to the Nurburgring in 8 weeks (17th September). The current car list on the drive way is my Clio and his Corsa. Would love to take the Clio. His Corsa as only one seat, plus he never keeps a car for longer than a few months! So he has bought an E36 328ci to take - he wanted something old(ish), 6 cylinder and RWD - only choice was a BMW! My friend had his old one for sale
578260_10150856218999475_39030186_n_zpsfdwvkwsc.jpg

Looks nice.....however this is what happened the last time he took it out.
1503292_10151927242043375_308087427_n_zpsnqdvtjzr.jpg

Yes that is a flooded road - muppet. That was over 2 years ago. It has been stood in a shed ever since (he bought an E21 and I think that took priority over a broken E36).
Told my step dad about this and he went and bought it. It has a solid shell, interior is "perfect" as it isn't nice leather to feel guilty ripping it out. Just needed an engine. Mother was not happy as they went away to Paignton the other week, little did she know there was an engine for sale in Paignton! So bought that, got it home and then the fun started.
As I don't live at home in the week we have to sort of plan the larger jobs out as my step dad can tinker mid-week on his own. First job - remove the old engine. Did that this Saturday. Very easy and little effort to remove. Really simple as the whole front of the car can be removed so you don't have to lift it over the slam pannel.
IMG_2217_zpszvxabufd.jpg

IMG_2218_zpsxw5rj7k0.jpg

IMG_2220_zpsrm2wnm76.jpg

IMG_2223_zpsat0whwhf.jpg
IMG_2224_zpsivdhykyw.jpg

IMG_2225_zpsetztw2io.jpg

IMG_2221_zpsgmneen0h.jpg

IMG_2222_zpslbo9z87u.jpg

It has coilovers to go back on so it will at least look mean again. Brakes need changing and some of the interior needs removing and then source two bucket seats. Think an M-sport front bumper is going to go on too. Not sure what else tbh, but being such a short time scale it will be the minimum required to get it to go!

If it isn't ready I will definatly push for the Clio to go, but my step dad will probably take his Octavia VRs, which is probably a bit more sensible!
Will try and update this as and when things get done. If it ends up being a really nice drive I would be tempted to buy it off him when he has finished with it and use it every day.

330i. E30 Touring.
Wicked. Finding an E36 with no rust is a good find, they're commanding much more money now. Shame it's not an M-Sport though.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
So bit more progress on this. New engine is in. Was really easy to do once we got our heads around the starter motor as the loom on the engine and car were slightly different but did the same thing - just joined up differently half way down the loom.
IMG_2274_zps8yfli919.jpg

IMG_2275_zpssi3xgqij.jpg

Other things have been done like the seats. Red this time! Rest of the interior is out, just need to sort the front foot wells out as they are not level and there is like plastic tray which is only going to get broken when stood on - the carpet protected it before.
IMG_2320_zpstn16roxn.jpg

Car came with some AP coil overs and rear dampers. Helped to put the rears on today and my step dad did a front corner the other day, so it sits slightly funny atm! But while the wheels were off the brakes were changed, hence why he only did one corner as he had a bit of a fight with one bolt that would come undone. First time ever my step dad has seen disc and drum brakes on the rear of a car - it looks like the hand brake operates brake shoes and not the calipers.
IMG_2319_zpsrcs4ukrq.jpg

I have just been told my step dad has picked up a battery and there is fuel kicking about at home so technically it can be started.....but he is finding excuses not to as he is a little scared! So hopefully this week or next week it will be started then the fault finding can begin to actually make it driveable. It's not like the deadline is two weeks or anything before it is needed.........

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was kind of close to getting one a while back. Would be sorely tempted if a nice one popped up

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The latest on the car....
Engine in. Seats and harnesses in. Brakes fitted. Suspension on, just needs tracking, Team Dynamics Imola wheels fitted. All looks smart.
However....it doesn't actually start. We leave Thursday evening. Last minute dot com!
Turns over but the fuel pump isn't coming to life and there is no spark. If the pump is powered directly it works so there is something stopping it. Bought a new ECU with a delete on it for something (can't remember what it is called) and that hasn't solved it, but it will solve the ABS and ASC issue and the ASC was removed and increase the Rev limit. So what is going to be done is swap the loom that came off the replacement engine with the one that was on the car originally as there is one relay on it that isn't on the engine loom and we have no idea what it does! Other than that we are out of ideas, especially at this short time scale. It may be "fixed" by turning it into an Octavia VRs which is my step dads daily car to take instead.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
They sound amazing too on full chat.
I have no idea, it doesn't actually start 😂 the new ECU has upped the rev limit too so that should give it a bit more noise maybe.
Car currently sits a little higher than that first picture now, wanted it a little more practical than just slammed.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
IT WORKS IT WORKS IT BLOODY WORKS!!!

So...but of a home made loom! Crank sensor off the new engine and the car were different and the engine one was knakard. That was stopping it spark. Then there was an issue with ignition which is controlled by two relays. Swapped around and still nothing. But we had two relays from an E30 325 kicking in the tool box. Totally different part numbers and that and somehow putting them in made the car work! Literally no idea! Less than 24hrs to spare!

We leave tomorrow, ferry is like 4am Friday morning so staying near Dover tomorrow night.

Good build.

Just been looking at these, there's a really nice one on the trader at the minute for less than £3k. Would make such a good track car, I'd even drive it as a daily.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Getting all the final stuff together. Tool bag sorted, GoPro sorted...
Sat Nav apparently does Europe but not Germany! However I can point to Achen and get directs to that! Apparently does Belgium but won't acknowledge the existence of Liege. So I have downloaded CoPilot and chosen Germany as my free map so as long as my written instructions can get us to the border I can get some free wifi to load copilot up to get us to Adenau. Blimey this was a faf. Nothing like 11th hour working.

Oh and the car hasn't been driven more than 5 miles since it was fixed and started for the first time in 2 years 1000 mile trip will be easy!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The Ring is pretty easy to get to tbh, it's signposted for like 60kms before
It's more of to get roughly to the right area. Step dad has been several times so knows once he is close. Plus not sure where our hotel is
Are you taking bets on whether you will make it or not?
Stop it!! Car will be fine!!! It's not like it's just had a major refit or anything that hasn't properly been tested. Got breakdown cover if needed.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Made it!! Piece of cake.
Well, apart from the sat nav being gash and having a bit of a wrong turn going past Brussels as I forgot to say turn off. Hand written notes to get to Germany and then CoPilot to the hotel.

Car was faultless on the way. Did a bit of adjustment to the toe in to stop it being nervous. But was really civilised and relaxed!

Already seen a Renault Alpine on track, very nice. Got pictures of the journey down and will take some over the weekend to post up when I get back

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Watch some endurance racing today. Everything was proper smooth around the track and there was no "racing", probably because they didn't want to risk a crash!

Weirdest thing I saw was the Jeep Cherokee safety/recovery car towing a TT at speed on the racing line while other cars were racing around it. DAFUQ??!! Mental

Track was open 5:30 to 7 this evening for the public. When it opened it was carnage! I though Combe action days were mad, but this was unreal. However, the track was open about 45mins and some Brit binned it. Not sure what happened but his Supra had damage to the near side wing, rear bumper and front head lamp. And they shut it for the rest of the evening. So no track action today. Tomorrow it is open all day so hopefully get two laps in each.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
So got some pictures from the weekend:

Before setting off
IMG_2351_zps9bpz6dvs.jpg

The handwritten notes that got us there:
IMG_2429_zpsklu32ql5.jpg

On the ferry
IMG_2353_zpsa8s8yjsi.jpg

Making some tracking adjustment in Belgium on the side of the road. The only thing to go "wrong" on the whole trip. Car was faultless
IMG_2356_zps6cmzyj6j.jpg

First thing I saw at the side of the track....
IMG_2357_zpscporjmgu.jpg

Stayed at the Hotel De Nordschlief, which is in the background of the picture. The cars woke me up on the Saturday morning!!
IMG_2359_zps1zz72gsf.jpg

Just a few Lamboghinis.....
IMG_2363_zpskzxwblid.jpg

IMG_2364_zpsdnrw1czb.jpg

IMG_2365_zpswlhkuoga.jpg

Some other cars kicking about
IMG_2366_zpsh9hmxg1f.jpg

IMG_2367_zps61r7leoj.jpg

IMG_2368_zpstcxjsngw.jpg

IMG_2370_zpsflganvbe.jpg

IMG_2371_zpspskek8zz.jpg

IMG_2390_zpsyf71jwuk.jpg

IMG_2407_zpsvvkfrlfj.jpg

Some track shots
IMG_2372_zps6ywmg09c.jpg

IMG_2375_zpsvz25vsse.jpg

IMG_2382_zpsfzznnmwf.jpg

IMG_2385_zpsjh3vjuwa.jpg

IMG_2391_zpscetuycmk.jpg

IMG_2392_zps7rltd2pf.jpg

This was within 15mins of the track opening for the day - closed as some lad in a Supra had a mini off.
IMG_2389_zps9zd3tbox.jpg

Then the standard pictures of our BMW
IMG_2386_zpsftghmcxw.jpg

IMG_2394_zpslv5vpor9.jpg

page_2096689-640d304edfc5f7d2cde02d018d80e479_zpsgf7cmfs4.jpg

NR_01_zpsxm7hgvtj.jpg

The car was really good, so easy to drive! I wasn't sure what I was expecting (probably some tail happy drift car!) but it was perfect. Got some ideas for what to do with it next. Then take it on another track day, most likely I'll take my Clio and step dad this. All in a good weekend.

Driving around the track was the hardest drive I have ever done! So much concentration, not knowing where I am going, not sure if I hit an apex. Blind crests, avoiding bikes and cars. Would like to do it again though, next year.......

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That's crying out for an M-sport bumper and wheels.
The bumper is the first thing on the list! just didn't have the time to get it sorted before we left.
It was started on the Monday, MoT tested Wednesday and then we left the Thursday.

Oh and the "best" crash was when I was driving I had a section under yellows as the Ring Taxi was in the barrier! Literally no idea, and the car must have been snuck off the track as we didn't see it on the back of a truck, but did see a recovery lorry with a box on the back and not the usual flat bed.... All passengers were out of the car and no one looked injured.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Now with M-Sport front bumper (minus a mesh bit in the lower grill)
IMG_2716_zpspewbsbkn.jpg

Next on the shopping list is a 4 piece boot spoiler
Just need to do a track day with my step dad so we can take both the Clio and the 328.