ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electric Polisher

V

valver pete

Anyone recommend one to get? And any tips? Always done it by hand but thinking there must be an easier way with better results! :D

V

valver pete

Cheers guys, tho it all seems a bit technical with diferent pads etc.:S

106 GTi
Not really depending on what you want to do.

Cutting Pad - Defect removal
Polishing Pad - Light Defect removal/restore gloss
Finishing pad - Applying products that dont have/need to cut like glazes, waxes and sealants.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
PC's are fantastic :D deff worth spending the time looking and getting a package sorted mate.

R27 - 77/500
whats the diff between random orbit and rotary? like the sound of one but the price of gettin porter cable n bits to go with it seem extreme

Punto/Clio GTT
yup, over priced for beginners. i dunno why people buy them myself. im sure they have guarantees and all that but you simply cannot justify the price of them compared to something which costs 39 quid and can do exactly the same job.

just be careful on your edges, bonnet edges, door edges, where your badges are, good to mask them out, and avoid door mouldings and you really cant go wrong. just common sense really. if the pannels gettin very hot, throw some water on to cool it down.

If the panels geting so hot you have to throw water over it the person wielding the polisher should be fired!!!

Punto/Clio GTT
brazo said:
If the panels geting so hot you have to throw water over it the person wielding the polisher should be fired!!!

explain? panels always get that hot when mopping with cutting compound. cant be avoided other than cool it down with water

106 GTi
The above is only good for applying and removing wax, it has no power to correct paint defects.

FM-AVA-696 said:
explain? panels always get that hot when mopping with cutting compound. cant be avoided other than cool it down with water

Only when you use a rotary at too high speeds. By 'mopping' a panel at high speeds it creates huge variances in paint thickness by trying to cut the paint too fast.

I have cut the worst defects out of paint by using a slow cut tecnique which involves about 1200rpm and the panel only becomes hand hot. This is also perfectly safe on edges. The panel simply does not need to get hot!!

Punto/Clio GTT
brazo said:
Only when you use a rotary at too high speeds. By 'mopping' a panel at high speeds it creates huge variances in paint thickness by trying to cut the paint too fast.

I have cut the worst defects out of paint by using a slow cut tecnique which involves about 1200rpm and the panel only becomes hand hot. This is also perfectly safe on edges. The panel simply does not need to get hot!!

you have all the time in the world i guess though. if im mopping im on a strict timer, get it out the door asap looking good.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Rich said:
The above is only good for applying and removing wax, it has no power to correct paint defects.

That's what I use mine for. Wouldn't dream of using it for anything more although might be useful on swirl marks with scratch x or something like that which you do by hand anyway.

Guess there is nowt in between the Cosmo and a PC, it's one or the other depending what you want to do with it.