ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Entry Level SLRs with bundle packs

Turbos.
Hi Guys,

Haven't mind up my mind on which camera to get but i'm wondering if the standard 18-55mm lens kits are worth getting or if its best to simply get a body and opt for a recommended (suggestions welcome!) lens alternative?

Cheers.

VaVa
Kit lens is fine for a first timer! They're not actually that bad and for the difference in price you may as well get one..... I thought the same when I bought mine but the difference was like £40 or something.

Kits lens is great to start with. You can get some really great shots with it and then when youve progressed a bit, its time for other lenses.

Revels Mum & Sister
Yep as Bunny said

They dont do the D40 without a kit lens either. Only the D40X. If you were thinking of Nikon.

Turbos.
Dan, CS Admin. PMSL!

Yeah, the kit lens seems great value, it's just that i've heard crap things about it on the Canon. I had an old Canon SLR but sold it with a few other lenses... so i have experience of some better stuff.

In that case then what other must haves should i get lens wise?

Revels Mum & Sister
Nifty Fifty

50mm f/1.8 lens only 60-70 on both Canon and Nikon Fit.

Not sure on the Canon lenses but something like the 80-200 AF Nikon Lens. Second hand one. Depends what you want to photo really. Thats what Ukaews uses for Motorsport photos assuming thats what you want to do.

Then you have Macro lenses, tele lenses that strech to mega distances. But without fail have a nifty in your bag

VaVa
Get a good prime lens. The 50mm f/1.8 is superb and good value too but I find it a little to far on my 350D (50mm = 80mm iirc so you tend to find that although the large apeture makes it great for low light, you often find yourself a little too close to things indoors)

EDIT - Beaten by rasclart!!

50 f1.8
10-20 sigma
70-200 F4 L

tbh teh 18-55 canon isnt great especially in low light out doors very bright day its fine

Revels Mum & Sister
Get a good prime lens. The 50mm f/1.8 is superb and good value too but I find it a little to far on my 350D (50mm = 80mm iirc so you tend to find that although the large apeture makes it great for low light, you often find yourself a little too close to things indoors)

EDIT - Beaten by rasclart!!

Knows it. I love photoing your missus growling badger. Mint I tell thee

I can vouch for the Sigma 10-20 I have that great lens

VaVa
I want Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM. nifty fifty cannot be ignored for the price and the sharpness of the pictures it takes though.

I want Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM. nifty fifty cannot be ignored for the price and the sharpness of the pictures it takes though.

Same here! Mind the 28 f/1.8 isn't so bad and the Sigma 30 f/1.4 gets good reviews if you don't want to spend 650 quid..

Back to what the OP asked, depends on your budget, the 17-55 f/2.8 IS would the best choice IMO. Failing that the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or if you can source it for a few more quid the new Canon 18-55 IS but to be perfectly honest the normal kit lens will do you fine to begin with.

Last edited:
  FF Blackgold 182
Dan, CS Admin. PMSL!

Yeah, the kit lens seems great value, it's just that i've heard crap things about it on the Canon. I had an old Canon SLR but sold it with a few other lenses... so i have experience of some better stuff.

In that case then what other must haves should i get lens wise?

Got the 18-55 kit lens on my 350d and it does surprisingly well. I will getting a replacement when I get some money together, but for starters it's fine imo. My thoughts would be, get a bundle, sell the bits you don't want and then get a lens or two that you want. Bundles are generally cheaper than body only.