ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extending network using router (wired) - HELP ME!!!!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Hi guys,
I have recently dropped Sky and gone over to BT Broadband, so they sent me a nice BT Home Hub 4 to setup.

I have set it up no problem and the internet works, however towards the far end of the house (especially upstairs) the signal is absolutely terrible. When the Sky router was installed previously, I had another (old) Sky router (Netgear DG934G) setup upstairs which was connected using the Powerline Adapters and ethernet cables which allowed me to connect my devices to the old router for better signal strength, however I can't seem to be able to remember how to do it or if it's just not working.

Any ideas? I've looked all over the web and can't find anything!

Cheers
Liam

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I just can't get this to work for some reason, could it be that the BT Home Hub 4 doesn't support it?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Anybody know of a compatible router that will allow me to plug in (effectively via Ethernet) upstairs to connect to?

Clio 172mk2
all routers you should be able to, but

on yer main router you would need to set up static IP address for the 2 router.
then on the 2nd router set it up not to send out IP address`s (dhcp off), then on routing options use the local IP same as the one above, then set up the gateway to the main routers IP.

Thats how mine is with a virgin media home hub down stairs, which connects to a d-link wireless router (runs dd-wrt)

I also run a wireless bridge to another room in house as tv only had a rj45 port

Fabia VRS Special Ed
all routers you should be able to, but

on yer main router you would need to set up static IP address for the 2 router.
then on the 2nd router set it up not to send out IP address`s (dhcp off), then on routing options use the local IP same as the one above, then set up the gateway to the main routers IP.

Thats how mine is with a virgin media home hub down stairs, which connects to a d-link wireless router (runs dd-wrt)

I also run a wireless bridge to another room in house as tv only had a rj45 port
biojo

Here's what I did (amongst other things):

Home hub setup (using static IP address), DHCP on - range is between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254.

Setup second router upstairs via Ethernet, turned DHCP off and set the IP address to be within the range set by Home hub (e.g. 192.168.1.60) and on same subnet mask as Home Hub but it comes up with an error and then I cannot connect to the router at all so have to reset to factory settings.

Is there anything obvious that I've done incorrectly/not done?

Clio 172mk2
on the second on you need to set the gate way to the home hubs IP.

so for example home hub 192.168.0.1, second hub 192.168.0.2, then gate way on second hub set to 192.168.0.1

If yer running sky firmware on router some things maybe blocked, so you might want to see if you can put netgears standard firmware on it

open command prompt then type 'tracert google.com' post the output on here then we can see how far the packets are getting

Also ipconfig /all please as well. Make sure you are near the second router though so we get the right output!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Well, I've got it working thank fcuk!

And guess what caused it? No nothing to do with either router, my dickhead little brother had decided to turn off the switch where the Powerline adaptor was plugged in downstairs. It's behind a desk so I couldn't see and it's never been turned off in the last year.

I only noticed it because it started working fine when I brought the second router downstairs and connected it directly to the Home Hub via Ethernet, but when I took it back upstairs it wasn't working and decided to check the plugs.

Cheers anyway guys! I really appreciate it. I'm fuming that I spent probably 8 hours in the last few days trying to get it working and it was never going to work.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Just to bump my thread, I've been using this old Sky router for a while and when I check the download speeds through it it is severely restricted compared to connecting directly to the main router. Plus I think (but I'm not certain) that the connection keeps dropping from it - I say think because I know the Infinity connection we've now got keeps dropping but sometimes the connection for the router drops and when I change to the other router it's fine, so it could just be that it's the broadband quickly dropping but I'm not sure.

So does anybody have any idea of a good but low cost router that would be good to use?

Clio 172mk2
id look for one where you can use dd-wrt software. or see if you can add that to the one you thinks at fault. improved my d-link one allot

Clio Trophy
Using power line adapters will limit the connection speed as the BT Infinity connection is probably faster than the powerline units.