ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel showing as full tank

182 Clio sport
Hi guys, I'm new here, had my first Clio for a couple months now.
Yesterday my fuel jumped from about half a tank to a full tank while I was driving. Now, let's just presume my car hasn't found its own way of refilling the tank and presume that some thing is probably broken. What could cause it and is it an easy fix? I messed about with old two stroke engines years ago and got on alright with it but I don't really know anything about cars but I'll give it a go if it's an easy(ish) task.

Thanks in advance

Try leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours, hopefully the computer should reset itself. Or, hold down the button on the end of the wiper stalk then start the ignition, and scroll through the options - one of them will tell you how many litres are left in the tank.

182 Clio sport
Thanks, I'll go and give that a go in a bit.
Just spoke to my mechanic and he said to hit the fuel pump with rubber Molly and it should free off the sensor. I think I can get to the tank under the rear seats to try that, is that right?
Thanks

You can get to it under the rear bench yes :)

But I have no idea if that would work! If not, I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with more advice.

182 Clio sport
I had been going down a bumpy country road when it happened so there could be some logic in his idea, if a bump has messed with the sensor, another bump might correct it. Thanks for your quick response. I've got a few other bits and bobs that are bugging me about this car but this is the most important to get sorted right now.

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Fuel fairies? Check the main earth cable, heard of this happening due to that being broken/not making contact

182 Clio sport
I tried to ask the fuel fairies but they were French, I don't speak French :/
Nice one. I did see that in a post somewhere after a google but I don't know where the earth cable is. Do you have a picture of it or something? Cheers

182 Clio sport
When i got back in the car earlier, the fuel had gone back down to half a tank and it has since dropped down one bar so it looks like it is working as it should now. Any idea what would of caused it to have a funny turn and then go back to working normally? thanks for all your advice so far :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Has it done it more than once? Is it fine now you've switched the car on and off?

182 Clio sport
In that link it says to pull it out and check it, what am i looking for? is it hard to get out and clean up?
I has only done it once. (had the car since December) yesterday when it happened, i tried turning the engine on and off a few times but it didnt do anything. it looks like it has sorted it self out by just being sat still for 12 hours :/

RB Clio 182
Id leave it until/if it does it again mate.

Its a Renault, wait until you have the problem when you brake and your fog light symbol comes on the dash.

182 Clio sport
ok thanks for the advice. If it does it again, i may come back to you guys on advice on how to do it. if i can find the panel you unbold to pull the pump out, it cant be that hard... i hope.

yea ive heard about loads of mad problems with them but they are nice cars. i had an engine light come on, mechanic cleared the error. (something to do with throttle) and its run fine ever since lol

its my first car, i love it, i sort of like how erratic it is.... until it starts costing me money. had the sunroof leak fixed but now the sunroof creaks when im driving along. one thing after another

182 Clio sport
oh, no. i wish! i did wonder if this was the right forum but i couldnt see any other forums for boring clios like mine :/
although, its not a bad first car, the alloys are a bit battered and you have to red line it if you want it to feel remotely quick but its a start. my dad had a 172 when they first came out. good fun. makes mine feel so slow though

RB Clio 182
oh, no. i wish! i did wonder if this was the right forum but i couldnt see any other forums for boring clios like mine :/
although, its not a bad first car, the alloys are a bit battered and you have to red line it if you want it to feel remotely quick but its a start. my dad had a 172 when they first came out. good fun. makes mine feel so slow though

You are welcome here mate I didn't mean to come across like a dick, I just didn't want to be giving you the wrong info about your fuel gauge fault, but im sure they'll be the same.

182 Clio sport
nice one. yea i presume they must be pretty similar as they are all built at the same time, engine side of things will be hugely different i guess. any idea on how to stop the sun roof from making that noise? dunno where its coming from but it shuts up if you open sun roof

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Id leave it until/if it does it again mate.

Its a Renault, wait until you have the problem when you brake and your fog light symbol comes on the dash.

This is what I was going to say, cars so many strange things, if it only happens once don't worry about it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Sunroof creak is caused in the handle mechanism, oil it all up and check there's a bit of foam in there, IIRC it comes up against a small black bar that runs across the handle mechanism when it's closed.

182 Clio sport
@Daniel might do mate, hes had about 300 clio's.
Sorry I couldn't help.
Thanks, I'll PM him at some point over the weekend.
This is what I was going to say, cars so many strange things, if it only happens once don't worry about it.
they are very strange, I'm quickly learning that
Sunroof creak is caused in the handle mechanism, oil it all up and check there's a bit of foam in there, IIRC it comes up against a small black bar that runs across the handle mechanism when it's closed.
wow, I'm gonna guess you're either a Clio god or you've had the same problem as me lol. I'll take a look at it in half hour, got some WD or some TF spray. Fire some of that on and hope for the best :p
Thanks for that well reply mate