ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear knob!

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the gear know on a 2003 Clio is a simple twist off please? Ive tried, but it doesnt want to budge.
Thank you :)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

You remember wrong. I got mine off my Cup with my method. Piece of piss.

The top of the gearstick is metal and the inside of the knob is nylon with grooves cut in it. Keep twisting the knob with a towel very tight and itll start to come loose and then itll pop off.

If your a bit of a woos - then use some pliers on it to turn the knob.

big red bus

Quote: Originally posted by cyberdyne on 08 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Type_Mo on 08 June 2005

You have to cut them off IIRC
Whats IIRC? (sorry)
...and please tell me youre kidding?

If
I
Recall
Correctly

Ok... Seems im wrong :oops: I must be thinking about the Handbrake

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Nah thats plastic and just un-clips... best get your coat Mo ;) Ill tell Has how helpful you were ;)

Clamp gearstick (incase you twist it and feck ya gearbox, then just twist the gearknob as its only glued on mate, mine came off in a bout 10 seconds.

Hmmm...
Well, maybe i need to go to the gym more but i cant get it to budge :oops:

Good thinkin about the gear stick though - although i wouldnt know where to start doing that, lol.

big red bus

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 08 June 2005

Nah thats plastic and just un-clips... best get your coat Mo ;) Ill tell Has how helpful you were ;)
Its too sunny for a coat, now where we goin?? :D

Quote: Originally posted by HazzyP on 08 June 2005

Clamp gearstick (incase you twist it and feck ya gearbox, then just twist the gearknob as its only glued on mate, mine came off in a bout 10 seconds.
Is that on a 2003 also?

Did it :)

Had to prize the rubber cover off with a lot of force and sore fingers after - while breaking the rubber seals that were attached to the nylon housing underneath. The rubber came off in one piece luckily too.

Then no amount of twisting would shift the nylon/rubber-mix housing, so i cut the damned thing off with my favourite Global and a pair of pliers, lol. The nylon was supsisingly soft actually.

Anyway, its off now and my new knob looks cool !!! :eek:

Thanks for all your help ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

i wouldnt do it to be honest.

i had to hacksaw mine off, then once that was done spray WD40 on the new one, heat it with a hairdryer to expand the plastic (dont heat the metal pole on the gearstick because it will expand and make it harder) then once that was done had to spend 10 mins putting all my weight on it and twisting it to get the new one on. this was after i had resorted to hitting it with a hammer and poped the circlip out and had to take the full gear stick out from the bottom of the car and bend all the exhaust heatsheild and unbolt the exhaust to get to it.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

The gearknob is like CupCake has mentioned

as you have already found out just takes some force in twisting it off, but is doable!!

be carefull tho as seen above ^^^ u dont want to apply lots of pressure.

As for handbrake.....the back cover unclips easily. But the main "handle" needs to be cut away using a dremel with a cutting blade being carefull you dont cut thru the metal or hadbrake cable fittings.