ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Geeks: I've benchmarked the beast

Lee

BMW M2C
I finally got round to putting together the offices new fastest PC yesterday. After all the AMD Athlon FX60s and X2 4800s we've got we needed an Intel box to run Vtune.

Basically I wanted the fastest normal processor Intel offer, so that was the Pentium Core 2 Due Extreme XT6800. Ideally I would have liked a board which could SLI, but the Asus P5W DH Deluxe has an Intel chipset which was more important for this PC. The board does however Crossfire and SLI with hacked drivers as it's only a software lockout.

Anyway, final spec is as follows, but I also tested it with some other cards just to see how far it will go. All clock and memory timings are default, although Toms Hardware reckon you can gain 26% from playing with the memory timings and O/Cing the CPU. Not something I'm bothered about on a work PC. lol

Intel P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Pentium Core 2 Due X6800
2gb Corsair DDR2 XMS2-8500c5 Twin X 1066mhz memory
Nvidia 7900GTX

Also tested with SLI'd 7900GTX and Crossfired X1900XTX out of my PC.

Here's a fast PC for comparison to show how much better the new Intel Chips are, the first result is 3Dmark 2005 the second 2006:

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe AMD Athlon FX 60 2gb OCZ DDR400 XFX Nvidia 7900 GTX x 2: 13747 8924

The new system, first one 7900GTX: 11538 6487
Because the board doesn't really support SLI I used a hacked driver to run it SLI'd, this was okay in 3Dmark 2005, but wasn't stable in 2006 so no result for that. In 2005 it benched: 16543

Finally with my 2 Radeon X1900 XTX: 16995 10097

Those cards in an X2 4800 system give: 12548 8210

Pretty obvious those new Intel chips are the s**t, but at a cost. Look at the price of the chip and the RAM, and of course those video cards.

Right, I'm done geeking it up for the day, time to get back to some p**n surfing.

Last edited:
  UR 197, AB 182 FF
And I thought *I* was a nerd!

Fair play though. i'm slightly jealous. Shame you are running XP on it :(

Lee

BMW M2C
I can't be arsed to install anything else on it. Plus I've put the 1900s back into my PC to play a bit of GT Legends. Plus I think my boss thinks I'm spending a little too much time playing with new toys as opposed to sorting out windows mobile access to the email here.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Lee said:
Plus I think my boss thinks I'm spending a little too much time playing with new toys as opposed to sorting out windows mobile access to the email here.

Well he kinda has a point now ? that and the fact you spend the other half of the day on here :rolleyes:

Lee

BMW M2C
KDF said:
Well he kinda has a point now ? that and the fact you spend the other half of the day on here :rolleyes:

He does have a point. I commented on something I read yesterday and he couldn't believe I'd found time to read it instead of being on here.

You love it Clart. It excites you.

306 TD Slut
sweet mate ive been meaning to put together my virtual gigatronic duplexing aviating minstronimal bum head for weeks!

good work!

Golf GTI PP Mk7
yeah, does to me. sweet rig btw. my p4 2.8 (o/c'd to 3.4) and 9800 pro are in desperate need of an upgrade. suprisingly tho, vista beta 2 is faster than xp on it, go figure.

Lee

BMW M2C
cliobuyer said:
Lee's quest to download boobs quicker than the speed of light?

If only. With the line we have here I could fill a 500gb drive in a couple of days. :approve:

Revels Mum & Sister
Lees my geek hero, I wanna touch him!

Not as good as my Athlon 2000 XP with ONBOARD, yes Onboard Via graphics. I believe taking 32MB out of my MASSIVE 512MB I have nestling inside the beast at work.

Strewth 10k in '06. Those Intels run on NOS.

Still, I'm hopefull of 7.5k using me X2 4600, 2Ryans of DDR2, and 7950GX2. Lee it'll be interesting to see how close the GX2 can get to that SLI'd 7900GTX score of 8900.

Of course, what I'm really looking forward to is getting back to gaming with liquid smooth ysync capped 60fps with every setting as high as it will go in-game and in drivers.