ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gtruk's RSTUNER review

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
After a few teething problems, mostly my fault. I woke this morning and installed and mapped my car.

My initial problems were i was running software version 6000 and i tried to write a 6400 calibration file to the 6000 software. After reading the manual a second time i noticed the difference between the rst file and calibration files and there compatibilities. I think i was just a bit excited and rushed the process :) Anyway I backed everything up first so no harm done. Maybe another PDF on the website with an example WALKTHROUGH as well as a manual would be a good idea.

So my next move was to install the 6400 group N rst map, started the car and let that idle for 2mins. Turned car off and back on and then installed the 6400 feb 2008 calibration file. Again started the car and took it for a spin.

Noticed from the offset it pulled alot better from lower down. Let the engine warm up for 10miles and then went for it. One word. actually make that two that not only sprang to mind but came out my mouth; "f**k'IN ELL'". The power has been put alot lower down and spread out across the rpm range.:star:

Henk is really onto something with this bit of kit. The idle is up 100rpm from 840 to 944, which i think is a good move to be honest.

Ill report back once the map has had chance to settle, but thus far, im another impressed customer, and once again his reputation of helpful feedback has been good.

One thing i think he needs for his software "rstuner" is to have it read a database of sorts from an online server that checks the md5 hash/crc of the map the user is uploading. This should check to see if the file we have downloaded is the same as what he has on his downloads page. The only reason i suggest this check is because if there has been a fault downloading the file or its some how been corrupted and then uploaded to the ecu via rstuner, there could be a major problem and a dead ECU. I dont THINK this feature exists in his software but i could be wrong.

Other than that, top marks to henk. Thank You.

Ill update this thread in 1 and a half weeks from now.

172 FF
Good read.. how has it behaved since the intial install...

Do you have an update .. and a model code for the product for that matter ..:)

Cheers.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Since it was remapped its behaved well. I originally ran vpower from shell garage and was getting 42-43mpg driving between 2-3000rpm for the half tank i had left.

Its power and throttle response are much improved.

Filled up again with Tesco 99ron fuel and am getting 38mpg thus far. Power is still the same but in my opinion not as good as i was getting on vpower.

A few positive points ive noticed in the 2 weeks or so ive had it:

improved throttle response

better idle - makes it less chuggy sitting at traffic lights.

removed ignition retarding when cold so no more kangarooing in the mornings.

The power appears to be bought down a few rpm so you should see power from 3000rpm smoothly to 7000rpm.

Overall im certainly happy with the product and henks advise. Im yet to play with the Performance Analyser as i dont have the exact weight of my car, and feel it would be pointless guessing.

Im running the base map and the latest feb08 calibration file for the 172 CB1N.

I do look forward to having more of a toy around with the PA module of the software but feel its power outputs could somewhat be difficult to assertain the exact power at the fly wheel as there is no real way to calculate this from @the wheel power. Some might get a bit dishearted at seeing only 130bhp at the wheels :p

It will be a good way to indicate though how much bhp ive gained from a standard map and any future modifcations though which is good.

I think if henk could add the feature ive described above, and also add away to remove the "log" of the maps that have been installed, that would be good. I can see people who are testing the software out and adding old maps and new maps, getting a bit annoyed at seeing the amount of maps that have been installed on the ecu previously.

Great product through and highly recommended.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
This should check to see if the file we have downloaded is the same as what he has on his downloads page. The only reason i suggest this check is because if there has been a fault downloading the file or its some how been corrupted and then uploaded to the ecu via rstuner, there could be a major problem and a dead ECU.

I had that worry myself
I guess if the maps were .zip'ed it would solve the problem (it checksums every unzip so no error there)

What interests me more is to publish more maps from users so everyone can experiment on their own
For example N-Group program should have VVT all the way up to the top (like the original one) is it there for Clio 172 ph1 ?? I didin't noticed.
Whats more if there were Siemens Sirius .xdf file for TunerPro software there would be infinite possibilities to alter ECU program, all we would need then is to approve from Henk and the program could hit the webpage.
I guess then the intrest in the RSTuner hardware would rise expedentially

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Good call on using winzip to check the file ;)

Another nice feature would be to check the software version the car is running on and not allow an imcompatible file to be mapped. He sort of has a warning saying check such and such, but actually giving the software the ability to STOP any incompatible uploads could save him alot of emails ;)

Oh one more thing. The hardware unit itself. The "box" could do with a front dust cover. I can imagine two issue with having the front left wide open. The first thing being dirt/hair etc could get inside and cause damage. The second being that the usb port and serial port are attached only via solder which could weeken with frequent use. If there was a cover/guard around these ports they would act as a stablizer and sotp any unecceary stress on the solder points. Saying that, i do know it would be more of a pain in the ass to do this on a mass produced product...and if this was done, the cost of his "box" would go up as a result.....

These comments are all my personal observations....please dont be put off by any of it to those who are reading this....the product is great in every way, these comments are just me being picky/perfectionist.

Another nice feature would be to check the software version the car is running on and not allow an imcompatible file to be mapped. He sort of has a warning saying check such and such, but actually giving the software the ability to STOP any incompatible uploads could save him alot of emails

To allow the user to upgrade & downgrade software versions we chose not to implement too restrictive software checks. Same idea as motherboard bios updates. You are responsible for checking which version you load before hitting the 'proceed' button.
RSTuner does check for correct file size and the ECU itself checks for file corruption and calibration compatibility.

The "box" could do with a front dust cover

Good point, will be addressed with another enclosure.

The second being that the usb port and serial port are attached only via solder

Yes, they are soldered to the board like all USB and sub-D connectors. Nothing to worry there.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
To allow the user to upgrade & downgrade software versions we chose not to implement too restrictive software checks. Same idea as motherboard bios updates. You are responsible for checking which version you load before hitting the 'proceed' button.
RSTuner does check for correct file size and the ECU itself checks for file corruption and calibration compatibility.

The "box" could do with a front dust cover
Good point, will be addressed with another enclosure.

The second being that the usb port and serial port are attached only via solder
Yes, they are soldered to the board like all USB and sub-D connectors. Nothing to worry there.

I understand they are all soldered, my point was that with a front cover surrounding the usb and serial port, it would give it more stability with frequent plugging and unplugging. ;)

Glad you had the chance to read my post though.

Im curious though, if the ECu checks for file corruption and calibration compatibility, what does it do as a result. Ive already put an incorrect calibration file on my ECU, resulted in a car that wouldnt start and easily rectified.... What does the ECU do in the event of a corrupt rst file?

What interests me more is to publish more maps from users so everyone can experiment on their own

Experimenting with engine settings isn't what most users feel comfortable with. I like the idea though.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I just wouldn't trust myself!! - I'd be happier payin the same money for a bespoke map from a pro... I read a nite mare story from an Ozzy lad and the kit shagged his ECU...Whether it was his fault or not, 'I' still wouln't be happy pissing about with my own ECU.

Likewise with Geometry set and cam profiles. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I just wouldn't trust myself!! - I'd be happier payin the same money for a bespoke map from a pro... I read a nite mare story from an Ozzy lad and the kit shagged his ECU...Whether it was his fault or not, 'I' still wouln't be happy pissing about with my own ECU.

Likewise with Geometry set and cam profiles. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

With this kit? or just pissing about with his ECU...?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I think Ali means using mapping software to alter it maps ourselves. The RSTUNER is generally quite safe even if u do upload the wrong file.