ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help I need tech advice!

A Beautiful R32
Hi all,

I've just been looking at the prospect of enhancing my computers performance and...

1) I've looked at the memory I have so far and it is DDR2 PC2 5300. Apparently it's 32MB physical memory (Is that low?) and 2GB virtual memory (what the hell is the difference?). Any ideas on a good upgrade memory type? My max mem amount is 4GB.

2) Graphics cards - Basically my system uses an AGP ATI card (It says X1300/1600 series). I was going to upgrade, what would your thoughts be? (Not too expensive please...)

Thanks,

Dave

ps. I have an intel dual core running at 2.1 - thoughts on overclocking??

Not a Clio
64MB can't be right at all unless you're still running Windows 3.1.

Virtual memory is basically hard disk space being used as a cache, so say you have a very large application and it won't all fit into physical memory, the rest will go into virtual and move to physical as and when it's needed. (think that's right)

Last edited:
  A Beautiful R32
I have no idea mate... That's what I thought about the 32mb. Let me get a pic to show you...

two secs...

Tesla MP3 2021
i think he means he has got 2gb of RAM.

your system at present isnt the worst in the world by all means. Maybe an idea to add another 2gb of RAM, maybe evan upgrade the CPU to maybe a e6600 or an e6700.

as for the graphics gard if your motherboard supports PCI-E (16x) then a Nvidia 8600 or an 8800 GTS GPU built by BFG would be good.

A Beautiful R32
OK so two system pics... look at the physical memory in the first one.

Attachments

• system1.JPG
    system1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 43
  • system2.JPG
    system2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 45
  A Beautiful R32
i think he means he has got 2gb of RAM.

your system at present isnt the worst in the world by all means. Maybe an idea to add another 2gb of RAM, maybe evan upgrade the CPU to maybe a e6600 or an e6700.

as for the graphics gard if your motherboard supports PCI-E (16x) then a Nvidia 8600 or an 8800 GTS GPU built by BFG would be good.

I think the current ATi card in the system is in the one pci-e slot... so I take it I could simply swap them?

A Beautiful R32
yeah you have got 2GB of RAM.

lol but you said it was AGP???

Yeah I know, this is what's doing my head in... the manual says the graphics card is "half-height" AGP but the online manual and hardware support says it's a PCI-e card... :S

Is there any definative way I can be certain of the expansion/connection slots I have without opening the PC up??

Tesla MP3 2021
yeah you have got 2GB of RAM.

lol but you said it was AGP???

Yeah I know, this is what's doing my head in... the manual says the graphics card is "half-height" AGP but the online manual and hardware support says it's a PCI-e card... :S

Is there any definative way I can be certain of the expansion/connection slots I have without opening the PC up??

just right click on the desktop and click propertis, then go to the properties of the graphics adaptor and it should say there

A Beautiful R32
Cool so def PCI-e card then? Look at this: http://support.thetechguys.com and the search for MT2800 (direct link doesn;t work for some reason).

(This is different to my manual, which says AGP card :()

Should I even arse around with the idea of hooking up a crossfire system?

BTW, thanks for all the help

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.
Nah, get a decent X1900/X1950 card and you'll notice a world of difference, or nVidia 7950 series.