ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me out with a phone contract please

Right first off, i'm uselless with phones. Following on from someones "getting blood out a stone" o2 thread last week here is where I am at the min.

"I'm in the same position, o2 wouldn't budge for me. I found that most of the others are offering better, so it looks like i'll have to go with them.

I'm paying £40 month for anytime 500 from them, my phone is two years old now (a crappy n73) I want better tbh"

I've had a look on the o2 website just now, I filled out all of the upgrade stuff and the text me a code to put in. I can get a nokia N96 for £50 a month (online 50) on a 12 month contract - but that's £600 a year, it does include the phone though.

Now I want a nicer phone, but don't wish to pay circa £600 a year. Would I be better off just getting the sim only package for £15 a month & then buying a phone of my choice ?

O2 don't seem to be offering that much tbh, i've been with them for about four years now and they aren't offering as good as before.

Apart from the sim only idea, would I be better off junking them all together & going elsewhere ?? (sorry for the questions, I hate phones)

The link doesn't work bud. I went on there anyway, dolphin 30, 400 mins + umlinted texts, the n96 is £215.00 though.

Polo Bluemotion
If your going to move to another network (with your number), you will need your PAC code. To get this, you will be passed to the retention team regardless......these are the guys who will do you the deal, in order to keep you.

Do not upgrade online or in store, as you will get the same deal as mr joe bloggs off the street

Its useful to have an idea of what you want, in order to bargain with. Obviously dont be too stupid, as they will just encourage you to take the deal you have suggested

Hope this helps

ps> they are open 8-8 tomorrow ;)

02 pay and go with bolt ons ftw

i got unlimited texts + 1k texts/mins to 10 people (that i select)
i usually top about £20 a month, plus im not tied down to a contract and i can change my phone when i like... i got a n95 atm but i doubt i could keep it for 18months... then again its personal preferance and down to how much you use your phone. £50 a month is ridiculous imo unless you have a business tariff with silly amounts of mins and texts

Polo Bluemotion
02 pay and go with bolt ons ftw

i got unlimited texts + 1k texts/mins to 10 people (that i select)
i usually top about £20 a month, plus im not tied down to a contract and i can change my phone when i like... i got a n95 atm but i doubt i could keep it for 18months... then again its personal preferance and down to how much you use your phone. £50 a month is ridiculous imo unless you have a business tariff with silly amounts of mins and texts

If you want value for money, the Q108 £20 simo deal is untouchable tbh. 600mins/1000texts/free voicemail/ and your choice of a free unlim allowance (unlim web,texts,weekend calls,o2-o2 etc).

None of the payg tarrifs can touch that

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Craig...Give 172 ben a PM...

He works for vodaphone... And is a manager there aswell IIRC.

Sorted me out a CRACKING contract.

Polo Bluemotion
You wot! You wot!?
<3

They are the most recent tarrifs available. Networks chop+alter tarrifs all the time, but they cant just move you onto a newer one. You will either need to ask, or automatically be put on one when you take out a fresh contract

If you got your contract last year, it will be a Q307. the main difference is you will get free voicemail with the q108, instead of 1mb of free data with the q307

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Ive just took a contract out:

o2 800 anytime mins, unlimited txts and a new nokia 6220

18 month contract £35pcm

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
aye.. am pleased tbh!

if a dont like the fone then jo will take it n when she renews al pick her next 1!

lol yeah sometimes less really is more... though my phone does have alot of features i only use the camera, cba with all that applications stuff

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
can you not get anything from 02, i wanted to cancel my Orange contract and they have given me a free phone and 3000xnet mins for £40

Ask them for your pac code mate, they will ask why, you say because i can get a better deal elswhere. They will put you through to a retentions team, who will be paid to keep you as a customer.

Never tell them what you want, just say what you have been offered,and you want to know what they can do for you, put the spot light on them to do the work to keep you. If its s**t, get pac code and come see ya dad :)

can you not get anything from 02, i wanted to cancel my Orange contract and they have given me a free phone and 3000xnet mins for £40
The last time I called them they were useless, they didn't want to know.

I think that spending £45 or so a month takes the pee as it is, let alone me having a crap phone to show for it too.

Looks like it's pac code time all the way tbh. Iirc you get 30 days to use it anyway ??

Polo Bluemotion
Cool, thanks. I shall bell them up & see what's on offer.

Ive just re read this thread, and i dont think you mention where abouts your up to in your contract. Are you actually out of contract, in it, or within the last 30days??

In contract, your not going to get any deal. In the last 30 days (all o2 pay monthly custs can upgrade in last 30days) you will get an ok deal. But do get the most from them, you will have to wait until you are out of your contract term. You wont get disconnected, it will just roll on, on a month by month basis. Your in a much stronger position to bargain. You will probably find you will get cold called to, asking to resign. Ignore these, as its the retention guys you want a chat with.

Also, just bear in mind, different retention advisors will offer you different things.......get a an offer, then call back in a few days to see if it can be bettered.

In between cars....
O2 offered me 400 any network minutes and 1000 texts on a 12 month for £20 a month, with a C902 or a £100 credit ;) i love a good moan/winge/haggle

Gotta say your gonna cancel, they will put you to retentions and they will pretty much give you anything to keep ya, go in really low then come to a comprimise ;)

Ive just re read this thread, and i dont think you mention where abouts your up to in your contract. Are you actually out of contract, in it, or within the last 30days??

In contract, your not going to get any deal. In the last 30 days (all o2 pay monthly custs can upgrade in last 30days) you will get an ok deal. But do get the most from them, you will have to wait until you are out of your contract term. You wont get disconnected, it will just roll on, on a month by month basis. Your in a much stronger position to bargain. You will probably find you will get cold called to, asking to resign. Ignore these, as its the retention guys you want a chat with.

Also, just bear in mind, different retention advisors will offer you different things.......get a an offer, then call back in a few days to see if it can be bettered.
Yeah I am out of contract, I never got a new phone last October so they said I was just rolling along on what I had, I have to give one months notice in writing then I can leave them.
I had a few cold callers call me (I clocked their numbers, I never answerd them) o2 themselves haven't contacted me (I wasn't expecting them too tbh)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Why Networks are so bad with existing customers is beyond me.

Orange are awful, I've been a customer for 8 years or so, spending a minimum of £35 a month, and every 12 / 18 months, I have the same battle, it's such a ball ache. Just give me a good deal FFS.

My Mrs went in the shop the other day, and because she uses the limit of her contract, but doesn't go over it, she is classed as a "poor" customer, lol, still spending £40 a month. They want £200 for a half decent upgrade, told them to do one and she will run out the last couple of months of her contract then sort something out.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I know that, just doesn't make any sense to me that networks all seem to treat existing customers as 2nd class citizens when comparing them to new ones.

172 cup
i was going to leave o2 untill they offered me 1000 anytime mins 1000 texts and a 200 min bolt on for 35 a month

They make there money when you go over, so staying within your minutes doesnt give you much reinvestment value.
I get that bit, although imo £45 a month for it is a liberty. I was getting the same for £25 a month till last oct when it went full price again (as I never realised about it going over the year etc, whoops!)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
I have just got a contract with O2. £30 a month gets me a sony erricson c902, 500mins and unlimited texts. then internet for a pound a day if i want to use it.:)

When i first started looking i wanted a 12month contract but they are a lot harder to get now. Unless you want a phone which has been out for a year then you will need an 18 month contract

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
All about the money mate :)

Again, I undertand that, but Orange wanted to charge my Mrs (on a £35 a month contract) £200 for a phone, which was free on the same contract to a new customer, which to me is just fcuking nuts IMO.

As I say, I don't understand why the mobile industry doesn't want to retain it's customers, they seem to be happy for everyone to move networks every 12 / 18 months, which makes no sense, costs them more in the long run to attract new customers than it does to retain existing ones.

I finally had some time to go to the shops the other day & see the phones in real life, hmm - there wasn't even one I wanted lol !